Rear dyno light failure

LangerDan
LangerDan Posts: 6,132
edited May 2008 in Workshop
My Busch+Muller rear LED Seculite has recently gone belly-up. Taking a look inside it appears that what I assume is the currnet-limiting resistor (I say "assume" as it isn't an old-fashioned, colour coded resistor) has failed. As far as I can establish on t'interweb, this should typically have a resistance of a few hundred ohms - mine has gone off-scale @ 20 megohms, hence my suspicion that it's fried.

In the absence of colour coding, is the resistance of these units usually marked on the device somewhere? (I am going to have to desolder it to take a look). I don't have sufficient information on the LED to allow me calculate what the value should be. Better still, if someone knows what these units should be, I can toddle off to Maplins.

Thanks.
'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'

Comments

• graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Sned B&M a mail via their website - they got back to me within a day when I sent a query. Excellent company for customer service, as is their UK distributor (Amba Marketing).
  • pyro_maniac
    pyro_maniac Posts: 232
    unless its a surface mount resistor then it should still have a colour code on it, are you sure its a resistor and not a diode?
    try putting a pic up to see if anyone can help you mate
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    unless its a surface mount resistor then it should still have a colour code on it, are you sure its a resistor and not a diode?
    try putting a pic up to see if anyone can help you mate

You're correct - I was able to get a number on the body and its a "transient voltage suppressor", apparently.
    thanks
    LD
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'