Do more expensive brake rotors generally = better braking?

aba2005
aba2005 Posts: 487
edited May 2008 in MTB general
My bike has Shimano Deore disc brakes but has still got the basic Shimano disc rotors. Would the Deore rotors be better and why?

Thanks for your help.
"You can plan for the life you're supposed to have, but when you try to make plans, God is known to laugh"
Talib Kweli - Broken Glass [The Beautiful Struggle]

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no.

pads can make a difference. but rotors generally not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • aba2005
    So there's no point to all the different rotors in a range at varying prices cos the cheapest rotor will do the same job?
    "You can plan for the life you're supposed to have, but when you try to make plans, God is known to laugh"
  • nicklouse
    basically yes.

But often the more you pay for a brake "set" the lighter the parts are. But the disc its self has minimal effect of the power of the brakes.

with the given info spend your money on better pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • kneesliding
    kneesliding Posts: 29
    Hi,

well, thats not exactly right.
    If the rotors are the same size, then only pads will help.
    If you have say a 160mm Rotor and upgrade it to a 203mm then there will be a huge diffenrence in stopping power.

Pete
    The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train
  • aba2005
    Ok thanks, one more thing, my rotors say resin pads only, can I disregard this?

Pete: I was assuming the rotors were the same size.
  • nicklouse
    if they are the discs that i am thinking they are, shiny stainless steel. that can squeak a lot. then yes you can use sintered pads but the disc may wear faster than the makers want but the braking is greatly improved.
  • aba2005
    yeah, sounds right, they only squeak in the wet, though they never seem to stop squeaking in the wet, which is why I was thinking of changing them. I think they're the MT53 or something like that.

A note about the squeaking: when I had the Shimano basic disc brake, mine were squeaking all the time, this was due to a leak, which is why I have the Deores now (I got a free upgrade on warrenty)

Thanks for your help
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Every brake I've owned squeals in the wet: Hope, Hayes and Formula.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    just some more than others!

mine have so far been ok (except the 7's) Oh and the rear code even when dry!
  • miket-62
    miket-62 Posts: 227
    My Avids squeel like a Pig!
    I don't mind as they let people know where I am :lol: