What mud guards?!

Comments

• z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    looks aside, theyre probably the best value you will get at that price.
  • they are probably 'the' benchmark mudguard. I have a pair on my winter bike and their great. plus if you get themin black they really aren't that bad.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    You can get clip on ones too that might be more to your taste. They don't work quite as 100% well as the SKS Chromoplastics linked above but they do work; I've had them (similar viper ones, not these exact ones) on my commuter for six years or more now. They have the advantage that they are really easy to clip on and off.

Bear in mind that you can get the Chromoplastics in plain black so they may not look quite as "fuddy-duddy" as in that picture- here's a nice looking bike with them on.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Cheaper still here http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=SKSAMUDR200

35mm suitable for tyres upto 28mm.

They do look pretty ok in black I have to say, would never go silver myself.
    I have 2 sets fitted already, a set of 60's on my Carrera for commuting, and just fitted a set of 45's to my gf's Ridgeback (running 35mm tyres) for commuting also - quality is awesome, and fitting/adjustment is a doddle.

The bike posted in the link looks like it has those same black SKS 35mm guards - I have bought a set, but not yet fitted them, for my Highway One.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • blorg
    Is there any catch with those being so cheap- are they the same Chromoplastics listed for ~£30 on Wiggle and £24 on CRC? (As SKS have cheaper mudguards too.) I've sent a question to Ribble as I'll buy a pair if they are the proper Chromoplastics.
  • daniel_b
    blorg, checking the packing for mine, it appears they are Blumels ones, but are still listed as an 'Aluminium Plastic Mudguard' so not sure how that compares with the Chromoplastic ones?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360022693&n=SKS%20Blumels%20Mudguard%20Set

As I said, I have 2 pairs already fitted of the Blumels ones (One for a year now) and they are superb.
    The fixings look to be the same to me as the ones onthe more pricey ones, complete with the plastic fittings for the front stays, that break away in case of an acccident.

I'm curious as to what the extra cost provides.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I got these, great value and quick delivery. I find that fitting mudguards makes your bike less desirable to scum anyway.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... KSAMUDR200
  • blorg
    Daniel - thanks for that, would make more sense. Reply from Ribble was that they "looked the same but ours has a reflector." Not sure what the difference is but I think I want the other ones- will have to look into it more.
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Chromoplastics all the way...have a set on me roadie and they work a treat!
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • johnnyc71
    johnnyc71 Posts: 178
    +1 Chromoplastic They look fine on my hybrid.
  • daniel_b
    blorg wrote:
    Daniel - thanks for that, would make more sense. Reply from Ribble was that they "looked the same but ours has a reflector." Not sure what the difference is but I think I want the other ones- will have to look into it more.

Blorg, I ordered a 35mm set without mudflaps, the super cheap ones, for my Marin, and 45mm with mudflaps for my gfs bike - the 'with mudflaps' variety come with a ruddy big reflector on the rear, the 35's with no mudflaps are nice and devoid of any addons, and I have already removed the SKS sticker so it's debadged and a stealth muguard set :lol:

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Zendog1 wrote:

Zendog - remarkable coincidence that you should be posting from Norwich, as the only decent set of 'guards I've had came from there by mail order (Freeman's on Heigham Street). Plastic ones (from both SKS and San Giorgio) have tended to fall to bits on me in the past, so I plumped for a set of Spencer aluminium mudguards - nice and durable, UK-made, and no problems with rattling (which, I admit, metal 'guards are prone to) provided they're properly fitted. A bargain at about 15 quid with the P&P! See;

http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/product ... ards%20PW1

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • i have a Carrera Subway Limited Edition Hybrid Bike 2012 -20"
    and im trying to find out if these STAINLESS STEEL MUDGUARDS will fit.

http://www.racerrosabicycles.co.uk/inde ... ucts_id=48
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    No, your wheels are too small at 26".
  • SKS for me as well. I don't have any problem with the look, particularly with the black ones. They are basically - and with good reason - the industry standard, for a great many road cyclists who ride bikes with eyelets, so you're in good company!