Principia framesets on CRC - any good?

rohloff-rich
rohloff-rich Posts: 232
edited May 2008 in Workshop
These Principia framesets on Chain Reaction's site seem to have some massive reductions - granted they're old frames now, but with the project I have in mind I can't ignore the prices.

Are they any good? :shock:
An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...

Comments

• greg roche
    greg roche Posts: 124
    Before i set up Sunday, i was lucky enough to ride for teams who were supplied by Principia. This would have been between 2001 and 2004 - so the era of bikes you've got there.

They're awesome. Little harsh (the REX was, anyway) but they handle superbly.

Greg
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    I think Principia were Danish, someone will no doubt correct me. They look like beautiful frames and if they are Danish the quality will be second to none. At those prices I'm very tempted even though I already have three bikes. I should go for it.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    They were much admired and praised not so long ago. At the time I rather assumed that went under because of relatively low volume/uncompromising approach to quality - read too expensive!

Never ridden one but pretty good stuff from enerything I ever recall reading. Good prices!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I have an RSL AS and it's a fantastic all rounder - mudguard eyes and proper clearance but you could race on it - in fact I have. The anodised finish is ultra tough too. Having said all that I got mine with the fork included for a similar price to what CRC are selling for - were they really £800 for frame only in 2004? And check on warranty as I think the current principia are not part of the original company.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I have a Principia Evolution, it's an excellent bike, very stiff, steady handler but slightly harsh. It has now been downgraded to non-race bike and unfortunately has a large dent in from a crash i had in wet weather.

Overall, if you are in the market for a cheap, light good quality Alu bike, I'd say get one!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    excellent frames but check out if any warranty ....could be the Rover 25 of the bike world :wink:
  • krakow
    krakow Posts: 110
    I have an RSL S6 and like it very much.
  • Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    i ride a rsl also Sharp handling and very quick get one !!