Changing from compact gears

JC.152
JC.152 Posts: 645
edited May 2008 in Workshop
I've been using the Shimano 34-50 chainset all this year on my race bike as it was what it came with and don't really need a little ring as small as a 34 as I'm a good enough climber and end up in the big ring a lot on a compact.
I was wondering what gears can be run on a compact chainset other than swapping the chainset, which I was thinking of doing to change to racing gears.

Comments

• cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    What size sprockets are you currently using? You can go to an 11 - 23 or even 11 - 21 with Shimano if you don't need the very low gears.
    I'm still using a dinner plate set of 12-27 which is good in really hilly areas but I just get used to what I've got like last year I used 12-23 but that was on a triple so I think a race cassttes probably the first thing to change
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Whack on a 36 Chainring instead of the 34, and use a 11-23 cassette.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • JC.152
    I didn't know whether a 36 would fit but that seems a good idea if it does.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    JC.152 wrote:
    I didn't know whether a 36 would fit but that seems a good idea if it does.

Yeh, it will fit as long as it's a 110mm BCD chainring - not too hard to find (SJS cycles a good place to look). As well as getting better gearing for you, the shift between chainrings should be smoother.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • JC.152
    Cheers,
    That way I can keep my 50 big ring which is better for juvenile gear restrictions as it gives me a 15 instead of a larger gear that you get with a 52 or 53.