How does a stage race work?

gematkinson
gematkinson Posts: 79
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
hi sorry for the newb question, been really enjoying following the giro, but i just wondered how tdo stage races work? i see some people winning quite a few of the stages ie cavendish, benatti but contador from spain wears the 'pink' jersey. is this the leaders jersey? and how do you win it, by getting the fastest time added up over all stages?

thanks guys!

Comments

• cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    Yes the pink jersey denotes the current race leader. The race leader is the rider with the quickest overall consolodated time over all the stages. There are other competitions within the race as well. EG The rider wearing the green jersey in the Giro is the "King of the Mountains" competition leader. Points are awarded for the first few riders over each mountain and the rider amassing the most points wears the green jersey, which they will try to retain until the end of the race proper.
    ahhhh! brilliant! was just a little confusing as i was thinking 'hey benatti has won loads why isnt he in the pink!' lol
    must say im absolutely addicted! im lucky my boss is a roadie and lets me have the stream on :)

thanks for the explanation
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    What a great Boss! Sky plus and Eurosport works for me!
    I was thinking 'hey benatti has won loads why isnt he in the pink!'
    He is the current leader of the overall points competition and therefore wears the "Ciclamino" jersey (sort of purple colour) - awarded based on points for consistenly high finishing position plus intermediate sprints along the route of each stage so usually worn by the best sprinter.

There is also a white jersey (currently worn by Ricardo Ricco) same as the pink jersey for overall, but for riders under 25 only.

Most stage races have similar competitions, but they all have slightly different colour schemes.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Although rare, it is possible to win overall without winning a single stage- Greg LeMond did this in the Tour de France in 1990.
  • gematkinson
    gematkinson Posts: 79
    thanks for all the info. its making me enjoy it a little more now i have a foggiest of whats going on :-)
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    blorg wrote:
    Although rare, it is possible to win overall without winning a single stage- Greg LeMond did this in the Tour de France in 1990.

Contador is in the lead at the moment, but hasn't won a stage so far in the Giro.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    thanks for all the info. its making me enjoy it a little more now i have a foggiest of whats going on :-)

It's good to understand the team structure/system as well (if you don't already). I used to think it was a free for all until Mr Duffield did one of his "if you've switched over to watch coverage of another sport let me explain how this works" sessions while I was waiting for 2 random sides to play against eachother during France 98 World Cup (it was the Tour of Switzerland they were televising). :lol:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Generally, there are a number of jerseys available in a stage race:
    Overall, Classement Generale or GC - Pink in Giro, Yellow in LeTour and Gold in LaVuelta is for the shortest accumulated time.
    Points (often called sprints) is for the highest number of accumulated points from stage finishes and sometimes intermediate sprints - generally the most consistent placings - Ciclamino in the Giro, Green in LeTour
    Mountains - points are awarded for each mountain summit and the highest accumulated total wears the mountains jersey. Mountains are graded so harder mountains provide more points. Giro mountains jersey is green whereas LeTour is polka-dot.
    Under 25 category is for the best young rider on GC - typically white jersey.
    Some races also have a combativity price i.e. rider who spends greatest distance in breakaways - normally indicated by a red number. LeTour combativity prize is sponsored by Couere de Lion cheese 'heart of a lion'
    Finally, being reintroduced is the backmarker, black number for the last rider in GC. Was dropped for a number of years because riders were deliberately competing to be last - there is a time cut-off for every stage, so you can't be too slow!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    it's dead compllicated - the bloke that does it in the quickest time wins