aksium vs 105 £150 wheels showdown

Courage Monsieur
Courage Monsieur Posts: 534
edited May 2008 in Workshop
Hi

As my dress mutton as lamb revamp of my bike continues, please pick between the two silver finish wheelsets which satisfy my £150 budget:

Mavic Aksium 2008
Shimano 105 2008

Don't fancy Campag / Fulcrum cos people have suffered with tyre changing. I'd rather a slightly inferior wheel to roadside repair nightmares TBH.

Hoops to go on a 2004 Giant OCR1, replacing factory supplied Nova Rigida set. Tyres likely to continue with Bonty Hard Cases.

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Don't fancy Campag / Fulcrum cos people have suffered with tyre changing. I'd rather a slightly inferior wheel to roadside repair nightmares TBH.

The wheels are fine, I've got no problem getting Vittoria Rubinos on my wheels - as long as you buy Italian tyres for Italian rims you are fine.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    I've used Shimano 105 wheels all this year for everything, time trials, road racing and training and never had any problems.
    Some of this years Aksiums have had problems, something like the rear wheel's spokes falling out.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Shimano RS20s are 110 quid at Ribbles.
  • Cheers
    Are the RS20s recommended? Better than the new 105s?
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019

The wheels are fine, I've got no problem getting Vittoria Rubinos on my wheels - as long as you buy Italian tyres for Italian rims you are fine.

trying to get Veloflex Paves onto my Eurus reduced me to tears :?
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Probbaly not the place but I have an unused (i.e. came with a new bike and instantly upgraded) set of silver Aksiums sitting in the garage that you could have for £75 - PM me. I keep meaning to Ebay them but haven't got round to it..
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862

trying to get Veloflex Paves onto my Eurus reduced me to tears :?

I had to test my repair skills for the first time on Campag wheels on the way to work this morning, the rubinos were no more difficult to fit than the Conti tyres on my Shimano wheels.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I've got last years' Aksiums and think they're great. Very strong and roll smoothly. Haven't tried 105s or Fulcrums though.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    " please pick between the two silver finish wheelsets which satisfy my £150 budget:

Mavic Aksium 2008
    Shimano 105 2008 "

Even IF any better, the 105s at list price won't be as "good" value as robbarker's offer of a pair of Aksiums for half your budget. Spend the difference on good tyres and the Aksiums will be "better"!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • yeah, Rob has a v good offer and we discussed it. Won't be able to collect for ages though, and I need em soon. Sure someone will snap Rob's up.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Wouldn't cost much to post 'em!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."