Giro Stage 17 "Spoiler"

deltadawn
deltadawn Posts: 168
edited May 2008 in Pro race
Anyone watching today?

Today looks like a good day for the sprinters. With about 45k to go, three riders are in a breakaway 3.5 to 4 minutes up the road. The peloton has been gaining on them, and will almost certainly catch them.

Any guesses as to who will win if it goes to an all out sprint? Cav? Bennati ? Someone else? Cav is my guess.

Dawn
PS. for those of us depending on online streaming, http://cyclingfans.com/ Giro player is now working with English commentary. :-) (I like tennis, but come on!)

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Watching it on ES2. It's not very exciting. RCS shoulda announced an unexpected route change and found a massive mountain to finish on - just to p*ss off Millar.

David Harmon has just said that the Plan de Corones stage was the slowest time trial in any grand tour EVER. 19.142 km/ph.
  • deltadawn
    afx237vi wrote:
    Watching it on ES2. It's not very exciting. RCS shoulda announced an unexpected route change and found a massive mountain to finish on - just to p*ss off Millar.
    LOL!
    David Harmon has just said that the Plan de Corones stage was the slowest time trial in any grand tour EVER. 19.142 km/ph.
    I heard that! I guess that's because some riders were going backward up that last hill. :wink:

Dawn
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Just wanted to check whether this was a spoiler thread ;)
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    yea I got it too on the office telly on Eurosport 2 - I cant hear it and have left my headphones at home so cant even hook em up to the PC
    cartoon.jpg
  • deltadawn
    Just wanted to check whether this was a spoiler thread ;)
    It's not. I just put that in the title to fool you! :P
  • jimmythecuckoo
    Well after all of the posts in thread about it, I felt it prudent just to check.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Someone needs to try a Cancellara and bang off the front with 2km to go.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Benna's knee is supposed to be acting up and the Corones TT can't have helped matters. High Road currently at the front hunting down the break. Unless someone clips off, its proabably Cavs - which means he'll fall off with 5k to go.......
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • deltadawn
    Well after all of the posts in thread about it, I felt it prudent just to check.

Yeah, I know. I didn't read that whole thread, but read all the "spoiler" titled threads about everything imaginable afterward. LOL!
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    afx237vi wrote:

There is a nasty hellish steep & twisty climb nearby lake Lugano in Arogno, just by the Italian/Swiss border. Last time I rode up it I noticed a pool of vomit on a hairpin bend, presumably left by some previous cyclist – perhaps Nicole Cooke out on a training ride.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    That was actually quite funny.

Good play High Horse boys.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    Very smart, nice work
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    More cheekiness from Cav.
  • Nice finish :lol:
  • deltadawn
    I loved that finish!

Too bad for Bennati, but that was a way cool move by HighRoad and Cav to let Greipel take the stage!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Hah, that was very clever. High Road's leadout train seems to be getting the hang of things now.
  • iainf72
    There don't really seem to be any other trains. Well, there's Milram but how toss are they?

Poor Bettini nearly went into the barriers - He looked frisky in the last 400 meters moving up and what not.
  • G man
    G man Posts: 57
    Really enjoyed that finish! High Road bossed it - great team effort.
    respectez le bitumen
  • jimmythecuckoo
    I am beginning to warm to HighRoad now... even the jersey doesn't annoy me so much any more.

Good spoiler type thread this... mean while over on Pro Talk.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    From what I can make out, from RAI, Cav's cred has just gone through the roof with the Italians. Great piece of PR.
    The commentators and various interviewees talking about a grand gesture and how he controlled Bennati, allowing Gripes to take the stage.
    I think one went as far as to say something to the effect that this is how it's done, not like Armstrong with Pantani on Ventoux!
    Nothing but praise for the young man.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Quality finish - watching it sneakily on the live feed at work, I didn't realise how close to the finish they were until the High Road boys sat up. It almost looked unopposed.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Nice finish indeed. It reminds me of the same kind of move Ciolek tried to set up for Cavendish in California. Only this time they didn't screw it up completely. Very good to see the sprinters on that team starting to gel together. They could be a massive force in years to come if they keep it up.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Man, what a spoiled brat....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    With Ciolek taking the first stage in Bavaria, this is quite a good day for High Road.
  • murcof
    murcof Posts: 30
    That is pure class. Along with Cav's ''thanks'' to Bennati for keeping the door open as he flew passed on stage 13 and nice comments about Bettini letting him in the line on another stage, I think he is earning a lot of respect from the other riders.

He is a spoiled brat though.
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    I've criticised him for lacking class, but have to eat humble pie today as that was a fantastic gesture and performance. Looked as if he could have taken the sprint if anyone else had realised what was going on. Superb
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    Man, what a spoiled brat....

Yeah but you'd be supportive of him if he was caught hurting a kitten :P
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Cav - Classy very classy enough said :!:
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Has Cav got really short legs ? Or is it me, thinking my Missus' are longer ? :lol: :P