So what am I doing on this thing, anyway?

gbjk
gbjk Posts: 12
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I recently bought a new road bike, a Trek 1.7.
I'm very happy with it. I also out on all the necessary equipment and clothing.

I've been out quite a few times now and I've found it very enjoyable, despite a few close calls.

I intend to ride to work and back, probably twice a day (including a return for lunch).
The ride is about 3.9 miles direct with a very steep hill at the end (Russ hill), but I've been going other routes to get further mileage, about 10 miles.

Right now I'm holding off cycling in the rain when it gets too wet.
I'm not at all shy of the conditions, but I'm shy of my fragility on the bike as it is.
When there's good standing water throughout the roads, is it wise to hold off if the ride is optional, or should I just go for it as soon as I feel comfortable?

I was going to ride in this afternoon, and it's very wet out, but on the way home I saw two cars had collided very badly on my route, probably with fatalities, and was put off again.

The next question is: What should I be doing with this thing, anyway?

Should I join the nearest cycle club and just start joining weekend rides and see how I do, or should I train for a while on my own and join when I feel I've gotten the most I can from my training alone?
I'm fairly self-motivated and push myself quite hard without needing outside influence, but nothing beats competition, even when not in a race.

I know that one club goes through Charlwood most weekends, and I think another group meets at my local virgin gym, so I know there are some near me.

I guess both quesitons are personal opinions, and perhaps whatever feels right, is right, but I'd like to hear other's experiences with getting started, etc.

Thanks

Gareth

Comments

• Cycling in heavy rain is no fun at all, in my view. I used to do it regularly when I commuted to work by bike, but it was horrible. But I think that _light_ rain is more hazardous. First, because it floats all the horrible oily crap out of the road right on the surface, and second because it doesn't make the car drivers moderate their behaviour in the way that really torrential rain does.

I went for a ride in the rain today because I hadn't ridden for a few days and was getting withdrawal symptoms. But there's nothing agreeable about damp, clingy clothing, water spraying up your back, 100 yard braking distances, 50 yard visibility, obscured spectacles, floating diesel slicks, and the prospect of an extensive cleaning and lubing when you get home. And the bike, too ;)

In short, if I don't have to ride in yucky weather, generally I don't.

As for clubs, etc., personally I don't. I ride by myself or sometimes with my family or a few friends. But I'm not (to be honest) a particularly social person, and the clubs around my way are either young speed freaks, or old fogies. OK, so I'm an old fogie, but the over-50s club in my locality is full of people who cycle like they're about a million years old. Rides planned around toilet stops, that kind of thing. *shudder*

In the old days when I was training for races, I found that I needed competition to keep up my motivation. There's little doubt in my mind that your standard of fitness and proficiency will improve if you cycle in a club, but I'm past all that kind of thing.
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    It's definately worth thinking about joining a club. You can still go out and enjoy rides on your own, but if you find the right club there's nothing quite the camaraderie of riding with like minded enthusiasts on a Sunday morning. Riding in a group will help your bike handling skills too - very useful if you decide to ride sportives/race etc. Also, it's surprising how easy it is to clock up big miles when you spend most of the time chatting and drafting behind some of the larger club riders!
    I think the real secret though, is to find the right club which may mean going out with a few and see how friendly they are to newcomers. From my own experience some clubs are still bastions of elitism, racism and sexism - but I'm happy to say I eventually found a fantastic club to join. I hope you do too.
  • Should I join the nearest cycle club and just start joining weekend rides and see how I do, or should I train for a while on my own and join when I feel I've gotten the most I can from my training alone?
    I'm fairly self-motivated and push myself quite hard without needing outside influence, but nothing beats competition, even when not in a race.

I came to road biking in January after 4 years of MTB. I have ummed and aahed over joining a local club because it has become increasingly difficult to arrange regular rides with my friends because of family commitments etc. Also I was worried about being 'too slow'. Initially I trained/rode on my own until i could average 16 -18 mph over hilly terrain over longish rides 40 - 50 miles. Then I rode a sportive. Finally after reading the local club's forum and going out on an invitaton club ride, I joined. Like you, I am looking to get a boost in my training from club riding and develop the skills to ride in a group. Also, I like the social aspect of riding in a group.

I would go along on a couple of your local club's runs and get a feel for what they are like. Clubs often have different paced groups that go out so newcomers don't get 'left behind'. Also on most club runs, there is a 'policy'of not leaving anyone behind.

Remember that you will always ride faster in a group than on your own so I guess 16 mph on your own could be 18 -19 mph as a group without any extra effort.
  • Mike Lyon
    Mike Lyon Posts: 9
    cyclingfury

Which cycle club did you join?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    You sound a little nervous at the minute, so maybe riding in a group is a step too far at the minute. You can always see how you get on of course, otherwise just build your mileage and speed up to that suggested by Not Another Hill and you'll be fine on most club runs.

Club riding is not for everyone, although if you get a decent club it can revolutionise your riding (speed, skills, enthusiasm, willingness to try new things etc).
    there's nothing quite the camaraderie of riding with like minded enthusiasts on a Sunday morning
    stevenage_audax_r.jpg
    Amen to that!
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    Mike,

If you live in the Rutland area, the Rutland Cycling Group meet in Oakham on Burley Road car park on Sunday mornings at 9.30am. It would be great if you could join us. It's a very informal and friendly group.

Graham.
    when its raining go for a short run instead ? just a wet vest and shorts . and no bike to clean .
  • gbjk
    Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Mostly it's just confirming what seems like common sense, but often in things like this, the right thing to do defies common sense.

I think I'll take every opportunity to go out in conditions which are borderline comfort zone for me, and get experience of, well, falling off I guess.

I don't seem to have any issue with the clipless pedals, and stopping, etc, perhaps because I've used them before.

I was unable to cycle into work this morning, but will head home shortly to meet a plumber (why do they never show up at the time, or even day, you organise?!) and then I can cycle back in.

I'll probably do a month or so's practice before looking to join a club.
    I'm not sure how it'd work with time, though, since I get very little spare time generally.
  • gbjk
    So my hand has been forced - I rode into work this bright early afternoon, and now it's been raining ever since - I guess I'll find out if I'm ready for the slippery when wet experience shortly.

... if I never post again, remember me fondly :wink:
  • gbjk
    I survived.

Russ hill seems like a 40% incline, maybe more (even objectiely looking at it) and going down it was pretty scary in the rain.

Unfortunately I didn't fall off, so that's still to come.

G