carbon seat post upgrade on a compact frame

Courage Monsieur
Courage Monsieur Posts: 534
edited May 2008 in Workshop
Hi All

Looking to upgrade my Giant OCR1 2004 cos I don't want to spend over a grand on a new bike.

Will swapping my alloy post for a carbon one make a big difference? Am I right in assuming that a compact frame may particularly benefit from this?

If so, which post would you recommend? Or is a stick of carbon just a stick of carbon :)

Cheers
Paul

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I have an OCR2 with a Specialized Pave with the anti-vibration damping, seems to work well enough for me, takes a little of the "road-buzz" away.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm going to have to go with "a stick of carbon is just a stick of carbon". I personally
    don't trust them, as I have known 4 people who have had theirs break, but have never heard of an aluminum one busting. Of course I'm sure that many people will log on
    telling you about the merits of a carbon post. I have used both and haven't noticed
    any difference.

Dennis Noward
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    dennisn wrote:
    I have used both and haven't noticed any difference.

Carbon looks better :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I think there is a bit of a benefit and you will experience it more on a compact frame as more of the seatpost is exposed. I have three posts, a Bontrager XXX Lite, a Bontrager Select and a Specialized Pave. I think the Pave does maybe damp a bit more than the others. The XXX Lite (£26 on eBay) has a really great seatclamp mechanism. The Pave has an awful seatclamp. I guess once you have it right you can leave it though.

Saddle will definately have a bigger effect.

The effect is subtle, certainly, but I do _think_ I find them more comfy than the alloy they replaced. Wouldn't swear to it though!