More Tour of America ROFLness

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited May 2008 in Pro race
Not turning out to be as easy as you first thought, eh Frankie boy. And I'm disappointed they're not going to manage to shut down Manhattan either :roll:

Tour of America offers new proposed course

The Tour of America is continuing to try and present a workable race for 2009. Its latest proposal has 21 stages and runs 2205 miles/3555 kilometres from Somerville, New Jersey, to San Francisco, California. The planned dates are September 5 to 27, 2009.

The proposal features one team time trial of 16 miles/26 km in Morgantown, West Virgina, and an individual time trial of 12 miles/19 km in Vail, Colorado – both of which may or may not involve climbing. The final time trial would be 35 miles/57 km in Sacramento, Calif., in the 19th stage.

The race would be run with two rest days, both of which involve air transfers. The first nine stages run from Somerville, New Jersey, to Indianapolis, Indiana. Stage 10 starts in Boulder, Colorado, where stage 15 also ends. In between there are four mountain stages, plus the time trial.

After another flight on a rest day, the action continues in Reno, Nevada, and three mountain stages followed by the longer time trial, before ending in San Francisco.(SW)
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    It's gradually getting more sensible (in terms of route) then. The way they're going on, I predict it will actually happen in 2017 as a sort of Criterium International style three stage race round New York. :D
  • They'd be better off trying to do a well-organised one week stage race based in a state or two, rather than trying to be a Grand Tour.
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Yup exactly. You can always add on days as each edition passes successfully and you gain a good reputation. Doing the opposite is just going to look silly.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Despite the gradual return to the world of the mentally sane, route-wise, these are still the same people who wanted to put on the original version, with the 400km mountain stages and the 120km TT. That fact alone would scare me away from that race if I was a rider. Though they appear to be making better decisions now, you know they're nutters or have no idea what they're doing. None of those two prospects is too appealing to sponsors, which might explain the lack of that 30 million $ sponsorship.

I've been waiting for someone to let out a huge "April Fool's!!!" since this story came out. Still waiting...
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    It's too bad. A Tour of America grand tour would be incredible, but this guy clearly has no idea how to set up an event like that. I'd have believed he had a real chance to do this if, in 2008, he'd said, "We're going to make this happen by 2011. These types of events are huge undertakings, so it will take us a few years to coordinate with each city and state to put together a proper route." Seriously, do you think even a 1 day race with 200 riders could actually be set up and run in less than a year (this guy's original plan was do get it started in 7 months)? Why couldn't we have a real organization run this thing?