Rear mech question

Simonb256
Simonb256 Posts: 880
edited May 2008 in Workshop
Could a 10speed mech be usedwith a 9 speed chain and cassette?

Im looking to move away from my tiagra group set and slowly migrating to SRAM.
"War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984

Comments

• Van_Heerden
    Van_Heerden Posts: 128
    I'm not 100% sure, but i thought about doing this and not sure it will work. I think SRAM shifters and mech will only work together because of the actuation process. You can have a SRAM cassette and chain etc with Shimano because that is what I have on my ride. So you would have to swap shifters and atleast rear mech together.

I kind of hope i'm wrong so i can do the same.
    "The grass is always greener on the other side - unless Jens Voigt has been riding on the other side in which case it's white with the salty, dried tears of all the riders whose souls he has crushed."
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    SRAM mech will not work with Shimano shifters and vice-versa - the cable-pull ratios are entirely different - I'm afraid you're going to have to stick to matched shifters and mech.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Simonb256
    Ahh I forgot about the shifter, thats fair enough, im just wondering if im going to get indexing issues or anything like that running a 10 speed mech on a 9 cassette really.
  • Van_Heerden
    Van_Heerden Posts: 128
    I believe 105 rear mech is fine on 9 speed.
    "The grass is always greener on the other side - unless Jens Voigt has been riding on the other side in which case it's white with the salty, dried tears of all the riders whose souls he has crushed."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Simonb256 wrote:
    Ahh I forgot about the shifter, thats fair enough, im just wondering if im going to get indexing issues or anything like that running a 10 speed mech on a 9 cassette really.

nope along as the mech and shifter are working on the same ratios (ie srams or shimanos....) then the mech controls how far the mech moves and by how much for each click.

so a 10 spd shimano mech controlled by an 9spd shifter with a 9 spd chain and cassette will be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Simonb256
    So by the end of the month I shall be on 10speed SRAM mech, SRAM shifter, SRAM 9speed cassette and SRAM 9 speed chain.

Yay :)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'm not sure you can adjust a 10 speed mech and shifter to work with the bigger spacing of 9 speed accurately - for the price of a cassette and chain, why not just upgrade the lot?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Simonb256
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I'm not sure you can adjust a 10 speed mech and shifter to work with the bigger spacing of 9 speed accurately - for the price of a cassette and chain, why not just upgrade the lot?

Mainly as I bought the cassette and chain last weekend, so I dont really want to have to throw it out already.