P*nct*re help. I'm losing my mind!

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I have committed the cardinal sin and bought a bike from Hellfrauds. Please allow me just another 10 seconds of your time in a desperate attempt to convince you (Me?!) was not as foolish as it seems and does not warrant being banished to a forum for under 9's (I am aware of the potential issues surrounding an adult male posting on such a forum, I was being hypothe...anyway.)

My Defence:

I have been cycling for 9 months now and enjoy my regular 12.5 mile (e/w) commute. I enjoy perusing on here and am regularly leafing through one of the many Cycling publications out there. I would consider myself to have left the "Absolute beginner section and have a place firmly in the "Beginner" section of the Cycling hierarchy. Following encouraging my partner to get a bike over the last few months she finally agreed to give it a go, although not having cycled for years was not keen on spending a notable amount of cash on a new steed. My suggestion was, "How about we get you a nice shiny new bike from Halfords for £100 to see how you like it then we can upgrade if you decide it is enjoyable and you will use the bike?"

Never again will I buy a bike from them. Getting a test ride was like I had just asked if they would take a couple of locked cool boxes over the border into Italy. The test ride in the car park surrounded by cars reversing/parking etc was short due to my girlfriend having not ridden for years and the space availably due to said cars minimal. Upon getting the bike home it transpires the gears were not aligned, the wheel rubs on one of the brakes and the other wheel is not quite true. Take it back then I hear you say. Well I believe there is no point. I don't want them messing with it further as they clearly can't set it up right in the 1st place so them getting it right a second time is unlikely. I would rather sort it myself.

The problem I have now though is with one of the wheels. Whilst trying to sort some of the other problems on the bike, on of the tyres just blew. Following a change of underwear I put in another inner tube and repumped it up. This blew again in exactly the same place. As the valve joins the tube the rubber is slightly thicker in a circle where the join is. Right on the edge of this join is where both p*nct*res happened. I checked the tyre, rim and tube for anything that could be causing the blow but found nothing. Yesterday, I bought another tube and the same happened in the same place (FYI I had pumped the tube up to 50psi when it just popped again). Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? I am totally lost as to how to remedy this? This is a link to the bike in question.

Thanks for reading.

Benhttp://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_253049_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_60955_crumb_33980-33957_parentcategoryrn_60955#

Comments

• Try a different brand of tube? Check your rim tape?
  • CyclingBantam
    Sorry Should have said, The rim tape seems ok round the area (there is nothing sharp poking out and The original tube that burst was from Halfords and the 2nd 2 were from my LBS.
  • The area around the valve seems to be a weak point in tubes. I've certainly had quite a few blow there. Are your valves pointing straight out of the hole in the rim, and not crooked? If they aren't straight I think it can put stress on the rubber.

50 psi seems a little low for road use -- personally I would always pump up a tyre as hard as it will stand (usually printed on the side). If it's too soft, you run the risk of pinch punctures (although I doubt that's the problem here).

You're not getting part of the tube trapped under the tyre bead near the valve, are you?

And sorry if this is a dumb question, but the tubes you're putting in are the right size for the tyres, aren't they? Those hybrid-type bikes usually take rather fat tubes.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Love your soh ben mate, hope you sort it.
  • CyclingBantam
    The area around the valve seems to be a weak point in tubes. I've certainly had quite a few blow there. Are your valves pointing straight out of the hole in the rim, and not crooked? If they aren't straight I think it can put stress on the rubber.

50 psi seems a little low for road use -- personally I would always pump up a tyre as hard as it will stand (usually printed on the side). If it's too soft, you run the risk of pinch punctures (although I doubt that's the problem here).

You're not getting part of the tube trapped under the tyre bead near the valve, are you?

And sorry if this is a dumb question, but the tubes you're putting in are the right size for the tyres, aren't they? Those hybrid-type bikes usually take rather fat tubes.

Thanks CC,
    When I am putting them in the valves are alligned straight and I have taken a lot of care to ensure the tube is not trapped by the tyre. To be honest the place where the blow out it, is too close to the tyre anyway for that to be the cause however thenkyou for the suggestion.

I believe the tube is the right size as well however, I will take the wheel in to my LBS just to make sure (I will point out, I will be going in dressed as little Bo Peep (Accompanied by a tolken sheep) in the hope that the shock will divert their attention from the fact I am going in to ask them to fix a p*nct*re!).

In terms of the 50psi, that was as high as I could get it before it blew!!! (Note to self - remember to go home via the laundrette).

I will let you all know the outcome as I am sure it will be preying on your minds.

Genuinely, thank you for the help though.
  • CyclingBantam
    Love your soh ben mate, hope you sort it.

Thank you very much. I will even if it kills me!
  • You mean these tubes blew even before riding on them? I didn't appreciate that. Is your pump gauge working properly (you're not trying to pump them to 500 psi? :) ) If you've had three tubes fail in the same way, and you're sure they're the right size, then I suggest this is a problem for the bike retailer to sort out.

The trye size should be embossed on the tyre somewhere, right? And the packaging of the tube should state the range of tyre sizes it works with. So it should be possible to tell if you've got the right size.

What a peculiar situation.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Have you searched for cuts in the sidewall of the tyre?
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Hi Ben, check under the rim tape for sharp bits on the inside of the wheel - if you find any take the wheel back, show them and get reimbursed for the inner tubes before you file them off.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    Had a puncture in the same place myself this week when topping up the pressure on the front. The only thing I can think of was the head of the track pump was putting stress on the valve as the hose was pushing the head at an angle.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    My first thought is the rim tape, then the gauge on the pump, I blew 2 tubes this weekend pumping them up to too high a pressure, but then when I got it right I broke my landspeed record so it's all good. Try a bit of PVC insulation tape around the valve where it sits in the rim, that might give the tube a bit more protection.
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!
  • CyclingBantam
    Thanks again all for the advice. I have checked all the tyres and there is nothing seemingly there. How would I find out if the pump gauge is wrong?
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    BenBlyth wrote:
    Thanks again all for the advice. I have checked all the tyres and there is nothing seemingly there. How would I find out if the pump gauge is wrong?

sorry if you have already said but is it a presta or schrader (car type) valve? You could always check the pressure with a car tyre gauge or with a garage airline. If you have a presta valve get one of these adapters most bike shops have them. If it is the schrader valve are you getting it to stay straight when you are putting the inner tube in.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • bombdogs
    bombdogs Posts: 107
    Bought a Carrerra Valour from Hellfrauds just over a year ago and had to take it back 12 times before everything was sorted on it.
    Everything I took it back, the young wippersnapper would roll it out and almost straigth away I would spot something else wrong with it only to get the reply of this kid 'oh, it will be alright to ride on it'.
    First up, the spokes kept loosening, secopnd the brakehoods kept slipping, then the bearing covers on the brand new replacement wheels kept coming loose and finally the rear derailer kept messing up despite the fact that the cable was well adn truly 'bedded in'.
    Once, he even had the cheek to roll out my bike with a massive bulge in the side because he had put the wrong size innetube in and declare that there was 'nothing wrong with it' and that, again, it would be 'fine to ride'.
    Still got the bike and it works fine now - since I bought myself a proper cycle toolkit, a bike repair manual and learnt to do everything myself.
    Take my advice, just kept going back and back until they get that sick of you everything gets replaced. Tell them theyve set the bike up wrong and that the inner tube keeps bursting. If it's under warranty still then youve got every rigth to demand it be fixed.
    If it keeps happening, ask for either a refund or a completely new bike - but be warned, the latter could lead to the very same problems.
    One of the girls in my club works at Halfords and even she says openly that the spec of their bikes are not up to much.
    Splash out on a decent bike. I bought a Trek Madone 5.5 in March from my LBS, got it set up properly and never had a thing wrong with it.
    Like my mum always used to say - 'you get what you pay for and if you buy cheap, you buy twice'
    I