Billato Frames

kellys_heroes
kellys_heroes Posts: 88
edited June 2008 in Workshop
hi there.would like to know if anyone has a Billato frame ,are they any good,worth the money etc.or would you be better of spending your cash on a Colnago or Pinarello etc.what sort of price are you looking at for a custom job.thanks

Comments

• gundersen
    gundersen Posts: 586
    never had one but read years ago that they made carbon frames for every tom,dick and harry in italy - including big brand names.
    so quality should be top
    and they are made in italy
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Garish paint jobs and a shame they don't do plain titianium
  • Billato
    Billato Posts: 3
    hi there.would like to know if anyone has a Billato frame ,are they any good,worth the money etc.or would you be better of spending your cash on a Colnago or Pinarello etc.what sort of price are you looking at for a custom job.thanks

I have a nice blue one, and I think it's great - of course 8)
    It's a long story how I came to buy excactly that frame - part of it is told here:
    http://tofte-hansen.dk/billato
    It's an EOM 16.5 steel frame made from Dedacciai tubes and carbon forks...
    Fitted with campy Record and Euros it now runs for my 4th. season.
    Before I rode a Reynold 531 handbuild to the measure from a local builder (still does).

I use it for fast club rides with town sprints and of course for recreational rides
    Just got back from Italy taking it to the top of Gavia this Saturday and riding other tours.
    (the Giro takes the price again - managed to see them 5 times...

What I think tell this frame apart from others is the handling and the comfort
    - which I know is in focus with Billato always. If your bike is too stiff and harsh,
    you will never be fresh in the end, where the power is needed most.

And most important: It is "straight" - frame alignment is the key point in frame quality.
    (and that's why the pro's love to ride Billato frames)
    I'm a rouleur doing good tempo in group rides and the guys like to hang on to my wheel,
    because I can ride a straight line, thanks to the precise built frame...
    - and then droping them again in fast corners is great sport :twisted:

Decending is a dream - I hit 60-70km on the rainy wet roads in Italy and feld secure
    and on the cold decend from Gavia, there was no sign of flatering
    - though i shivered after waiting more than an hour for the peloton to pass :shock:

Yes it's steel and it hits 9kgs for my size (57-58) - for a steelbike completto - not bad
    Billato is know working almost 100% with carbon and have special wrap technics
    for handmade, custom build frames - manufactured in Italy only.

But it has this "bling" to it also - nobody has ever heard of Billato - except the aficionado
    - though they have been building frame for Giro and Tour Teams for years...
    A frame like mine was build for Paris Roubaix for a pro team
    and many bespoke, labelled bikes are from the hands of the Billato brothers.
    F.ex. the new Museeuw: http://www.museeuwbikes.be
    If it's ok for him - I can do with ot also :D

Ciao Jan
    - Italodane (with NO professionel interest in Billato, Onimpex or any other)
    Recreational rider with a passion for italian bikes.
    No professionel relations to Billato
    - but I own one of their nice frames
    A steel frame built with Deda EOM16.5 tubes
    and carbon parts... Bellisimo!