Which wheelset ???

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited June 2008 in Workshop
Hi,

Recently got a Giant SCR C4 and want to upgrade the wheels , never really liked them. I know nothing about wheels, so I need some suggestions on decent wheel set that won't cost the earth. So far the only set that I have found and quite like are the Mavic Ksyrium ES (2008). I do like the Bontrager Race Lite's style with less spokes. So I would like somthing styled like the Bontrager and with a bit of red colouring on, maybe the hubs in red ? any suggestions please ?

Simon.

Comments

• fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Seems an odd way to choose wheels! Though the Fulcrum Racing Zero have that red you like, at not much more then the ES. There's a ton of wheels in that 450-650 range though, depends what you want from them as to the way you go.
  • You could get a really good set of hand built wheels for the same money. That way you can customise your wheels as much as you want. What about some red Tune hubs, black DT R1.1 rims (bit of red on them) and some DT aerolite spokes?
  • s1mon
    Those Fulcrum Racing Zero's are nice but maybe a bit to larey ?

any links for some wheel builders and the Tune hubs.

Simon.
  • campagsarge
    campagsarge Posts: 434
    Paul Hewitt gets rave reviews. Not got any myself but plenty on the forum have. By all accounts you will not be disappointed.
  • s1mon
    Hi,

Pretty much decided that I want the Mavic Ksyrium but now not sure which I need. The Mavic Ksyrium SL or the Mavic Ksyrium ES ? Are the SL's just the updated version of the ES but slightly heavier ?

Are they worth the £500+ :shock: as in when I put them on the bike am i going to be wowed by them compard to my Giant IOU 333's ?

Simon.
  • jxohn
    jxohn Posts: 38
    I have had my ksyrium es for 2 years now and I can't fault them. Have done approx 5000 miles on them and the rims show only minimal wear. Only use them in the summer though as I want to look after them. Judging by how many people were using them in the Etape du Dales recently I think many people still feel the same as me. I only paid £440 2 years ago a bargain at the time but i'm sure you can get them under £500.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    spoke to a small bike shop owner and he said that he cant get the 7850 for love nor money.

In the end I decided to go for a set of Easton EA90 SLX wheels from wiggle for £386 and they are awesome.. I felt a BIG difference in terms of smoothness and climbing was noticeably easier too.. Only bummer was I had to use my old set of crappy tyres till the new ones arrive..
    cartoon.jpg
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Doobz wrote:

Review? Or minor rehash of the Shimano press release?
  • Doobz
    you seem like a clever guy robbarker so figure it out youself
    cartoon.jpg
  • s1mon
    Arrrhhh :x

still can't decide what wheels :roll:

Been looking at the Easton EA90's as they get good reviews so do the Shimano's.

Like the Mavic's, slightly over budget and do read lots of bad things :? Don't really want to go over my budget and get something I'm not happy with.

At the moment I have Giant IOU 333's with Speedium's (25) on. Just got some Conti 4000S's so I need some decent wheels for them.

What sort of price and makes/models of wheels should I be looking at to make a noticable difference riding compared to my 333's ? I definatly want something light, i'm only 10-11 stone and I don't ride hard.

Simon.
  • steve23
    steve23 Posts: 2,202
    campagnolo shamal.

ive used these to race on this year and they are awesome!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!
  • s1mon
    Hi,

Still not ordered my wheels :roll: find some I like, about to order then a different set pop up :x also contemplating some hand builts.

So I'm open to any suggestions on a wheel set that will suit my Giant SCR C4, for general riding.

I need to stay away from some fancy stuff as I really don't need it for my riding, just something thats strong, light (well lighter than the IOU333's) and looks better than the current one's and with out braking the bank.

Simon.
  • Doobz
    hey Simon,

I picked up a set of the Ea90' SLX wheels and they are awesome

DSC_1917.JPG

DSC_1918.JPG

DSC_1920.JPG

DSC_1921.JPG

DSC_1922.JPG

DSC_1923.JPG

DSC_1925.JPG
    cartoon.jpg
  • s1mon
    Hi,

I do like those Easton's 8)

Was also considoring the EA90 SL's

Not sure if they would be to racey (if thats the word) for what I need, but the price is good on them.

Simon.