Euskaltel - Euskadi lack of quality ?

moray_gub
moray_gub Posts: 3,328
edited May 2008 in Pro race
I see they had no rider above 75th place in the Corones TT, is the quality of this team going backwards or is this a lack of real appettite for the Giro. For a team of climbers you could always rely on them to place a man in the top 10 but nowadays they just seem to be making up the numbers. Maybe they will come to life in the Pyrenees in July but i think the lack of real quality must be concerning for them .

cheers
MG
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    It's a lack of real appetite for the Giro so they send their young pros for the experience of a grand tour (the Tour is too hard and the Vuelta too important). They are not alone in this (think Francais des Jeux and Cofidis).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Where's Samuel Sanchez? I can't remember seeing him this season. Is he even still at EE?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    What about FdJ? I don't think I've seen their jersey in the entire race. At least Euskaltel and Cofidis have put riders in breaks and at least had a go in the sprints. Buffaz is leading the breakaway classification and Fernandez was 3rd in one stage.

I also see Gerolsteiner are down to two riders with 5 stages to go. When was the last time an entire team failed to finish a grand tour? Not including teams that are kicked out in one go...

CSC have been pretty rubbish too.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    afx237vi wrote:
    What about FdJ? I don't think I've seen their jersey in the entire race. At least Euskaltel and Cofidis have put riders in breaks and at least had a go in the sprints. Buffaz is leading the breakaway classification and Fernandez was 3rd in one stage.

I also see Gerolsteiner are down to two riders with 5 stages to go. When was the last time an entire team failed to finish a grand tour? Not including teams that are kicked out in one go...

Jeremy Roy is winning the nonsense EXPO MILANO classification. So that's something.

EE should not get an invite to the Giro. They don't want to be there and they add nothing.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    They seem to be having as much fun as they were in Flanders.

What are these guys doing in the ProTour?
  • Timoid. wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Jeremy Roy is winning the nonsense EXPO MILANO classification. So that's something.

EE should not get an invite to the Giro. They don't want to be there and they add nothing.

Jegou's had a go in the sprints and Veikkenen's had some decent finishes on the hillier stages. They're a French squad, so urr obviously their best riders will be riding the Tour.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Timoid. wrote:
    Jegou's had a go in the sprints and Veikkenen's had some decent finishes on the hillier stages. They're a French squad, so urr obviously their best riders will be riding the Tour.

Veikkanen was also in a break in stage 11, and was near the top end of the finishes quite a bit in the first week.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    All adds up to the end of the Protour doesn't it?

Teams being forced to race where there is no commercial or sporting reason for them to do so...
  • winoneday
    winoneday Posts: 253
    Samuel Sanchez has been injured this spring and has so decided to focus all his energy on trying to win a (or a couple) of TdF stages, rather than have a lacklustre but tiring classics campaign. I can't wait to see him back on the bike, such an exciting rider to watch.