Cant unlock TOPO map for edge 705

benji90
benji90 Posts: 114
edited May 2008 in Workshop
I have just bought the TOPO Great Britain DVD with a view to getting more detail on my 705. However when I come to unlock the map, by running the unlock wizard, the software cannot find the edge 705 and I cannot enter the serial number manually as it reckons I dont have an internet connection!! Have looked everywhere on Garmin Support site and cant find any mention of problems with unlocking the map.

Does anyone have any bright ideas or should i just through the whole lot out of the window, computer and all, and go back to a paper map and compass!!?

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    daft question but the 705 _is_ plugged in?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Hi, i had exactly the same problem. First make sure you've registered the product on the garmin website and have registered on with mygarmin. once loged on to the mygarmin website there should be a link to 'my maps' then 'manage maps' from there you should be able to follow the links to get an unlock code for your purchase which they will e-mail you with instructions. From memory i just copied and pasted the code into the unlock wizard (you tick the box saying 'yes i have a 25 letter unlock code' and go from there.

Hopefully this will work for you. i would add however that i've found the software pretty useless unless you stick to main roads and its nowhere near as good as bikeroutetoaster which is free and easier to use so i which i hadn't paid the extra for it.

sorry if the above isn't very clear but i'm a bit of dunce when it comes to computers
    pm
  • benji90
    a_n_t wrote:
    daft question but the 705 _is_ plugged in?

lol! yes it is plugged in! and i can upload and download data via TC no problem so it is would appear not to be the driver!
  • benji90
    Portugese Mike - your a genius dude, thanks so much!
  • No probs, glad i could help (can't actually believe i've actually helped someone with a computer problem - my wife will never believe me)
    pm
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    I've read the city navigator maps are the way to go for the 605/705 for road biking ? (and that you can have the topo maps on at the same time if you want?) Debating if I can afford one + maps myself.