Mongoose Canaan Comp and others

MattRhino
MattRhino Posts: 70
edited June 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,
Yet another post from someone fast approaching 40 who has decided to return to the world of MTBing!
And yes, another one of those posts that, whilst using lots of words, can end up sounding a bit like 'which bike should I buy'?
I've tried to narrow it down.
I've decided on FS, budget of no more than £1k.
I've read countless reviews and the Mongoose Canaan Comp seems to score well.
My question is, does anyone own one? Can they give me an idea of how ownership has been? I appreciate that the ultimate test will be trying one out, but what about quality etc? My last experience of Mongoose was in the early 80s and the bike had very small wheels.
The thought of owning a Canondale appeals and the Prophet 3 seems to be highly regarded. I'll probably want to upgrade as I did with my last bike. Any thoughts? Ideas?
As for riding, I'm not bothered about jumps etc, but did enjoy thrashing around Wharncliffe Woods many years ago so would like something of an all-rounder (asking too much on the budget???).
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ypu can get all rounders, or say bikes built to deal with heavier terrain, but you usually pay the price in weight, which takes the edge off the long riding capabilities. With Mongoose, this would be the Teocali.
  • MattRhino
    Thanks for the response Supersonic. I'll check that out. When I say all-rounder, what I suspect I was really saying was something other than a whippet-like XC bike (the terminology has moved on a lot since I was riding lol). I've never been one for catching air, just enjoy testing myself and having fun.
    Anyone any experience of owning Mongoose bikes in general? As I said before, not ridden one since the 80s and that was a BMX. I had an Orange before and would have gone for them again if buying a hardtail.
  • MattRhino
    Have had a good old read of many threads on here so thanks to all of those who post regularly, has helped narrow down my search (£1k ish FS).
    One question does remain though...anyone any issues over Mongoose ownership? Not a brand I would have gone for yet the reviews of the Canaan are superb. I haven't followed MTBs since the late 90s so am a bit out of touch with standards etc (had an Orange before, loved it, can't raise the cash for one of their FS bikes). Can't trust the shops who sell them now can I? Bound to tell me they're the dogs so to speak.
    Any Mongoose owners?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Mongoose owned by the same people as GT.
  • MattRhino
    Cheers once again Supersonic. I'm going to try and get a look at one today. Now about 5 bikes on the list with the Mongoose as fave...decisions, decisions!!!!!
  • MattRhino
    Not sure it's the bike for me. I suspect I'm still too much of a hardtail fan. I look at what I can get for my budget and think, hardtail makes sense, rode one before, didn't kill me!
    Oh well, more weeks of reading review after review. Probably just buy an Orange...the devil you know and all that (although after a quick browse Merlin bikes seem excellent value).
    Thanks to all who post on here, when I last bought a bike there was nothing like this (it was a long time ago).