Super Galaxy Vs Tricross Vs Sirrus

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
Ok, so I thought I was all decided on getting a Specialized Tricross Sport once my employer's Cycle2Work scheme kicked in for 2008 (HR dept are saying June/July for next window) but then I saw the Dawes Super Galaxy and now I'm wondering if that might be a better option. How do you guys think they compare for all-year-round, all-weather commuting purposes?

Also, what about throwing a Sirrus into the mix? I read the review on this site and the chap was saying that on a 100-mile route he does regularly, the Sirrus was by far the most comfortable bike he'd used.

I must admit that I prefer the look of the Tricross as it's just sexier but I'm wondering if the Dawes might be a more sensible choice.

All opinions gratefully received.

Comments

• Jamey
    Oh, and I realise that giving all three a test ride is probably a good idea so that's exactly what I plan to do (probably next week) but in the meantime, let's talk :)
  • windbreaker
    windbreaker Posts: 91
    I have a small fleet of bikes compared to others, and commute about to 45 miles per day, but seldom less than 30. I usually use my hack Edinburgh Courier, but whilst it was off the road I’ve been usually using my 2003 super galaxy. I bought it in a sale new for £500 to use as a heavily laden tourer, and usually that has been it’s sole use. I found I enjoyed it as a commuter. It is comfortable and solid, but very slow.

Commuting during winter can be very hard on components. Winter grime wore out my drive train on the courier, and I was quoted £180 to sort it by a bike shop. I did it myself for just over £45 including crankset. The cost of replacing these components on the Super Galaxy would be much much more. I think Galaxy is a sensible choice, but if you use it a lot over winter you will have to spend money. This is why serious commuters love fixed winter bikes.

The other downside of the Galaxy is really really crap brakes. I had a few near misses :( (not my fault) and I would recommend upgrading them. Lastly the Galaxy does not initially feel a good ride, but it has grown on me.
  • Jamey
    Hmmm... Well...

- I only have room (and money) to own one bike, so whatever I buy needs to work through summer, winter, rain, shine, snow, thunder and lightning.

- I'm rubbish at DIY maintenance. I can just about keep my brakes adjusted and change tyres and tubes when I get a puncture. I could probably change the chain myself but I think that's where it ends. Cassettes, chainrings, cranks and brackets would all be jobs I'd have to pay someone else to do.

Maybe I'm starting to sway back to the Tricross but with full mudguards, rack and panniers.
  • I just took delivery of my tricross (sport triple) last week. Without a doubt the best bike I have ever been on (and I've had a few). Excellent for my commuting purposes. Fast bike that can take panniers/guards and strong enough wheels for the potholes that you just can't avoid.
    Mtce wise, I have always cleaned my chain and mechs every week with proper fluids, not parrafin! Hopefully this will keep the bike on the road all year round without wxpensive trips to the LBS.
    Before I bought the tri, I test rode the dawes galaxy, found it quite heavy in comparison, slower to get up to speed from a dead stop. Saying that, if you were riding longer distances/touring then the galaxy would be the one as it did have a more relaxed riding style.
    One thing I will warn you of however, when riding the tricross with the tryes to the max pressure, you WILL feel every bump on the road, the frame is very stiff.
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    If you really want to all weather commute, then logically the best spec would be disks - at least on the front, where the real braking happens - mud guards, and for maintenance, either a single speed or internal hub. And a good frame and forks for that elusive blend of fast steering response and easy balance. Which I'd bet on Spec'd to deliver over Dawes, but you really have to test ride to find out about.

Obviously you can commute, even in the rain, on a let less than the above, but I think all those things would be beneficial. If you're going to spend the sort of money the Tricross costs for this job, I'd really look for disk brakes unless you've tried a Tricross and particularly like the handling.

Don't forget that a good bike shop should be able to mix and match for you; they have to build the bikes up anyway. You might look at the Edinburgh Courier 700c Disk, and have the bars changed to drops if you like the bike - that should cost much less than a Tricross (£200-£300 less) and handle better in the wet. You might get them to stick a Nexus internal hub on too if you're willing to spend another £100.

Going uphill pricewise, you could take a look at the Cotic Roadrat.
  • I can't comment on the other bikes. But the Super Galaxy is a pretty sturdy machine. The v-pull brakes I find are way better than caliper road brakes, but obviously disc brakes are going to be better still. I commuted on one for a few years year-round, and have just brought it out of retirement for commuting. It feels slow after riding a nice light road bike but the 853 frame feels indestructible. At times I carried loads of stuff in panniers and it could handle that. I'd recommend it, but don't know how the others compare.

Make sure you go with a Dawes dealer, I've heard bad stories from LBSs about Dawes supplying bikes on time and also the shop that sold me mine really c0cked up the setup meaning several trips back to the shop and tinkering of my own (I'm willing to name and shame this shop, if anybody is interested).
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    Jamie, I pondered for ages on what bike to buy and ended up going for the Tricross.

After an initial bit of doubt due to it being my first drop bared bike, I have now grown to love it.

I commute about 100 miles a week on mine and it seems to be holding up well and at nearly 19 stone I need a strong bike.

I added a rack and Schwabe Marathon Plus tyres and since the picture was taken SKS guards.

It's a great bike, I highly recommend it.

2411041401_a771cb900f.jpg
  • Jamey
    Thanks Stuww... Were you able to keep the Scwalbe Marathon Plus tyres at 700 x 32 when you added the mudgaurds or did you need to drop them down a size?

When I asked about it in Evans a while back the guy said I could either have SMPs at 700 x 32 or SMPs at a smaller size with mudguards but he thought that having both (700 x 32 SMP tyres togethew with full mudguards) was unlikely to fit properly.
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    Jamey

I've got 700 x 32C schwalbes fitted and I have the 42mm SKS Bluemels guards.

I've not fitted the back guard on yet as my rack keeps the spray off, but when I held it in place it seemed to fit fine. The front one fits perfect.

Great pictures on your photo blog by the way!

Cheers

Stu
  • I registered here to reply to your question, I hope it helps you :)

I bought a Tricross comp to commute 7 miles each way in January - I weigh about 100kg (well, maybe a bit more) and never considered a road type bike without discs (had a stumpjumper fsr120 with hydraulic discs before) until trying the tricross. I have found that all the different hand positions realy make a difference to my journey - power from leverage on the brake/gear lever mounts - relaxed cruizing with one hand on the little freaky brake levers on the top of the bars. You'd be suprised by the noise rim brakes make and the lack of power, but you will get used to it. The acceleration you can get with these bikes is amazing.

I have not tried any kind of tourer etc. so can't help there.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    I'm also waiting for the Bike2Work scheme to come in and have been considering the Tricross. But as I have no intention of using it off road, it seems a bit over the top. My other option is the Ridgeback Horizon. Comes with mudguards and 25 mm tyres and its what my LBS sells. Anyone got any views on this bike ?

Main considerations are sturdiness for urban commute and comfort for longish day rides, 80 mileish. Also would like to zip along at a fair rate of knots.

Also thought of Giant SCR range, but may be a bit too roadie for me.