Dunwich Dynamo - Front Light Recommendations

Gussio
Gussio Posts: 2,452
Pretty much what it says in the title - I am after recommendations for front lights which would be suitable for the Dunwich Dynamo later in the year (and probably winter training in Richmond Park to get the most from the investment!). I use standard diameter drops and am looking for lights to see by rather than to be seen by. Budget in the £100 region (hopefully).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I'd be interested in an answer as well, as I'm thinking of doing the Exmouth Exodus, which is also a night ride. Not sure about the Dynamo, but the EE website has a forum (I think) so I may post up there for some advice.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • firsthippy
    firsthippy Posts: 639
    Dunwich Dynamo? Oh, no I see they have a Dulwich one as well (bit shorter eh?) hehe

I've used one of these for maybe 2 years of commuting as well as Dunwich Dynamo and Rolling to the Stones night rides..

Dinotte 5W uses 4 x AA NiMH batteries (purchased batts off ebay as they are cheaper than On One). I just carry a couple of sets of batteries and change when needed. I think you'd get through a night on one or two sets.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?modul ... AGE_id=100

HTH
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I switched from Dinotte to Ayup this year, the Ayup is lots better. Battery life is around 6 hours and it gives enough light for 30mph downhils. The Dinotte is good enough for around 15mph and on full beam a set of batteries last around an hour.

Buy the Ayup roadie kit. They have a UK importer now as well.

http://www.ayup.com.au/
  • firsthippy
    firsthippy Posts: 639
    They appear to use proprietary batteries which I didn't want but they do look funky.. and they're Australian so they must be good ;)
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I have the new IQ light from Busch & Muller and a dynamo hub - love the simplicity of it rather than faffing with charging and batteries etc. It's a bit of an investment (£50 odd for the light and from £50 - £100 for the dynamo hub depending on brand), but soooo worth it, particularly if you commute on your road bike and build in those Richmond Park loops on the way to/from work.
  • Gussio
    Pirahna wrote:
    I switched from Dinotte to Ayup this year, the Ayup is lots better. Battery life is around 6 hours and it gives enough light for 30mph downhils. The Dinotte is good enough for around 15mph and on full beam a set of batteries last around an hour.

Buy the Ayup roadie kit. They have a UK importer now as well.

http://www.ayup.com.au/

The Ayup lights look very good and I am swayed towards it rather than the Dinotte because of the 6hr battery life (although the Dinotte does look like a lovely little package :? ). At £149 they don't come cheap, but they get good reviews and look to be well built.

A further question - the Ayup comes as either "narrow" or "intermediate" beam style. Which did you choose and are you content with your choice?
  • Gussio
    firsthippy wrote:
    They appear to use proprietary batteries which I didn't want but they do look funky.. and they're Australian so they must be good ;)

Petite and well put together, just like the Minogue sisters :lol:
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Gussio wrote:
    A further question - the Ayup comes as either "narrow" or "intermediate" beam style. Which did you choose and are you content with your choice?

I went for the intermediate beam and I'm very happy with the choice.

If you want to have a look at the setup before buying I work in Harrow and will bring them in if that's any use.
  • Gussio
    Pirahna wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

I went for the intermediate beam and I'm very happy with the choice.

If you want to have a look at the setup before buying I work in Harrow and will bring them in if that's any use.

That is a very kind offer - thanks. Went ahead and ordered the intermediate beam option, so won't take you up on it.

Thanks for the advice.