Looking for some XC-suitable lights.

indysmith
indysmith Posts: 276
edited May 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi there.
Looking for some bright and light (weight wise) lights for my bike, that WILL NOT break.
I basically want to be able to ride singletrack in the dead of night, what should I be looking at, and what should I be looking to spend?
Thanks so much

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    A budget will help as you can spend £100's on lights.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • bren_gun
    bren_gun Posts: 21
    also need to know duration. I can't fault my Ay Up lights, they are awesome and great value (not cheap)
  • Dr Nosh
    Dr Nosh Posts: 43
    Bought a set of Nite Flux Enduro from Bike Factory, Whaley Bridge - Also available from wiggle etc.

LED with Li-ion battery, claimed 6 hour run time. Not checked this out yet.

On a couple of short rides very happy with performance. Certainly beats my old Cat Eye halogen set.

Also, flashing mode.
    Republic of Lithuania
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    Dr Nosh wrote:
    Bought a set of Nite Flux Enduro from Bike Factory, Whaley Bridge - Also available from wiggle etc.

LED with Li-ion battery, claimed 6 hour run time. Not checked this out yet.

On a couple of short rides very happy with performance. Certainly beats my old Cat Eye halogen set.

Also, flashing mode.
    These look good - please keep me updated with how it's working out. How is the dispersion? I ask this because my brother had some lights on his bike that only allowed you to see a small patch of light in front of you, which was actually worse than just riding in the dark without lights.
    Also - how does this light recharge? do you plug it into the mains?
  • Dr Nosh
    Dr Nosh Posts: 43
    If you Google [b]Nite Flux [/b]you can find the manufacturers website - Its another Australian company interestingly along with Ayup. They have beam pattern pictures. The set I bought was called Enduro. Its the same lamp head as commuter but with a higher mA battery. You will also find listed UK sales outlets for these. I paid £99 at Bike Factory, Whaley Bridge, Wiggle £112.
    Beam pattern is good with a fair amount of dispertion of light - not just a fixed spot beam. Good enough to use on my MTB off road and fast road bike on road. The flash mode makes every road sign for 50m plus ahead also flash!
    Charging is by mains 'smart' charger. The battery stick has an orange LED for charging and a green LED for fully charged.
    I was hoping to be able to charge off the inverter in my car but, charger is 800W, my inverter is presently 350W, so will have to upgrade.
    Republic of Lithuania
  • paulf2007
    paulf2007 Posts: 341
    exposure by USE had mine around four years faultless and bright. Only downside the cost.
  • Bighead
    Bighead Posts: 260
    Hi I have a USE aswell. On full beam lasts for 3 hours although I find the other settings adequate and they last for far longer. It is not for everyone but for me I found it the right balance between light weight, brightness and battery time. I like it because it doesn't have a battery bag and if you want a longer batter time you can attach an additional battery. It has 3 LEDs and according to the casing has an output of 720 lumens. I would say the switch is worst part of it as it can be difficult to operate with thick gloves on. Here is photo of mine:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/bighead32 ... 7842783474