Coast and Castles what bike to use

kuddly
kuddly Posts: 12
edited June 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm cycling this route in a few weeks time using my tricross but one of my mate's is not sure whether to use his Trek racing bike with 700x28 tyres or his Carrera hardtale with slick tyres. Any suggestion's which would be best for the terrian ? cheers

Comments

• another jacko
    another jacko Posts: 891
    Mrs J and I did the route from Newcastle to Berwick last year. If this is the same route, quite a lot of it is off-road. Although most of it is on well surfaced paths there are some bits through mud, sand and on those ridiculous cycle paths where the designers think that a coating of loose gravel is the ideal surface.

I think that a slick tyred MTB or a fat tyred hybrid/tourer is the best bet. This is so for every Sustrans route I've done. It's worth using the Sustrans paths because they do go through the dunes, along the cliff tops etc. The pure road alternatives are further inland and while the countryside is also beautiful, the coastline is the best feature.

PS Do NOT stay at the Beadnell Arms, it is the worst B&B I have ever been to. The Blue Bell at Belford is a fabulous hotel in a 1950s time warp sort of way.
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    I did the majority of the Coast & Castles over a September w\end last year, Edinburgh to Morpeth.

I'd actually disagree with the previous poster, I did it on my road bike and there was only one stretch just south of Bewrick where I'd prefer to have been on the rigid mtn bike. It's a super route, I stopped over in Berwick upon Tweed, found a nice little bunkhouse not far from the old bridge.

Plenty of highlights, certainly don't miss out on Lindesfarne - check the tide tables, I just managed it. The coastal stretch along the Northumbrian coast is uper, especially Bamburgh but the Scottish section's great too.

Agree re: Bluebell Inn, stayed there with work many years ago.
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Did a ride from Edinburgh to Morpeth the other year, agree with previous post about being Ok on a road bike, there is a couple of bits that are gravel paths below Seahouses but there is easy tarmac options

Recommend stopping in the Bluebell Inn at Embleton, its a pub that they give you the keys to and when I returned it was completely empty and locked up, very trusting, and tempting!!

Lovely riding area, quite roads and relatively flat, worth making a detour inland towards Kelso if you have the time as well
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • kuddly
    kuddly Posts: 12
    Thanks for the replies my mate say's he's going to use his Trek. As for the BnB's were staying in Kelso's Queen's Head then The Link's in Seahouse hope hopefully both hotels will be ok