Off Road Running Shoes

Milkie
Milkie Posts: 377
edited May 2008 in MTB buying advice
I had no idea where to ask this question...

I thought there must be some people here who do some form of off road running?

Which running shoes? I need some support, and they will be used for off-road and road running. Not long distances at the moment, I haven't ran in about 10 years! :lol:

I'm currently looking at The North Face Rucky Chucky Shoe, which to me, seems a bit pricey at £85.

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Brooks, Sarceny, Asics and Mizuno all do very good running shoes for all types of terrian. If you have an Up & Running shop near you may be worth a visit and they will match shoes to your running style and weight which can help prevent injuries.
  • Milkie
    If you have an Up & Running shop near you

Unfortunately not, its the same distance as any running shop really. The closest place is over a half hour drive, and well over £10 in petrol. :shock:

I dont really want to spend £85, let alone more including petrol, and then some time off work to get there.

Think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and buy whatever I think is best, which at the moment is those Rucky Chucky shoes..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    as a soldier i do alot of running (doesnt mean i like it) im wearing a pair of mizuno at the mo but usually wear some kind of asics, most of my mates wear asics as they last ages and offer tonnes of support and cushioning.

i prefer an off road type of shoe as most of our running is on rough terrain and i benefit from the extra grip on loose/muddy surfaces but they are less padded than a road shoe and as a 19 stone man, i need a balance of cushioning and grip.

so deicide if you want on or off road tred then go from there.

ps. 85 quid sounds alot i know but your knees, ankles, hips and lower back will thank you, dont be too tempted to spend too little, i would reccommend spending at least 50 quid and as much more as you can afford.
  • gavinjw
    gavinjw Posts: 52
    What about a pair of Inov8s. They are challenging Walsh to become the industry's leading off-road shoe. Have a look at sports shoes unlimited at the link below:

http://www.sportsshoes.com/category/run ... ing-shoes/

If you're anywhere near the Bradford area they have a massive store, loads of stock and some good sound advice.
  • Milkie
    Thanx for the info guys, I do like the Innov8's and the Asics.

After speaking with a couple of friends, we're going to take a trip to Moti in Bristol and get ourselves properly fitted as they have video gait analysis too. :)
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    I have a pair of Karrimor Run off road trainers...

Cost me about £20 from sport soccer - not on their website any more but you might strike lucky in the shop....

edb9_1.JPG

Good for running off road but good for XC too....

They also sell others like the Adidas ATS Trail bit more expensive though.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/cat_id/FTWO ... 183259.htm
  • Anonymous
    Milkie wrote:
    Unfortunately not, its the same distance as any running shop really. The closest place is over a half hour drive, and well over £10 in petrol. :shock:
    what the hell kind of vehicle do you drive that needs 10 quid to travel for half an hour? Holy sweet mary mother of satan that's expensive.

Anyway, I bought a pair of Salomon xear pro3D last year, and am very impressed.
    They're very light weight, offer plenty of cushioning for the sole, and dry out very very quickly if they get wet.
    Unfortunately, I paid around the £85 mark for them, but I'm sure you could find them cheaper if you shop around.
    For example, there was another shop having a clearout sale at the time, selling them for £20 :shock: but unfortunately, they didn;t have the right size.
  • Milkie
    what the hell kind of vehicle do you drive that needs 10 quid to travel for half an hour? Holy sweet mary mother of satan that's expensive.

A 2.5L V6 engine, that only does 20mpg.. I can squeeze bewtween 28-35 on the motorway tho... This is why I don't like using it, its more of a long drive, long weekend car. lol
  • Anonymous
    long drive long weekend? holy crap, you can afford to take that thing out on long drives?
    I drove over 600 miles (to Dorset and back) on Saturday, and it only cost me 60 quid.

lol my arse, that's just stupid. :evil:
  • Milkie
    I drove over 600 miles (to Dorset and back) on Saturday, and it only cost me 60 quid.

But can you tow a kit car/motorbikes on a trailer, and get the mountain bike in the car along with 3 friends and some luggage! I do like to drive in comfort... And because its not that often, I can sort of justify it, to myself.
  • Anonymous
    erm, I can tow trailers as well. I can also fit 2 bikes inside the car, with two passengers, or 4 on the back, with 4 passengers.

It's also very comfortable, and it handles very well.
  • Milkie
    How much can you tow as thats the important part really... Also the performance when towing... I honestly can't tell much difference if im fully laden (excl trailer), unless going around corners..

I only ask cos a mate is looking for an alternative to his golf gti, as it can only take 1.5 tonnes. He needs 2 tonnes really now he's found the kit car he wants!
  • Anonymous
    to be honest, I could probably only tow slightly more than the GTi. It's a 306Dturbo, so there's masses of torque, and the gearing is pretty low, but I still doubt it would pull 2 tonnes.

I have given a broken down vectra a tow - directly, not on a trailer however, and that presented no problems, and performance was fine. Don't know how much a vectra weighs, but they're fairly heavy cars.
  • JohnMcD
    JohnMcD Posts: 5
    Milkie wrote:
    I had no idea where to ask this question...

I thought there must be some people here who do some form of off road running?

Which running shoes? I need some support, and they will be used for off-road and road running. Not long distances at the moment, I haven't ran in about 10 years! :lol:

I'm currently looking at The North Face Rucky Chucky Shoe, which to me, seems a bit pricey at £85.
    I
    Hi Milkie
    have been a runner both on and off road for > 35 years. The best place to start is getting your gait analysed; if you are a neutral runner no problem but if you are an over pronator (foot rolls inwards) or supinator (the opposite) or you run on your toes like a sprinter then you will need shoes to compensate for this. Analysis is either by an Adidas footscan machine (where you run across a pressure mat and it takes a colour coded picture of your pressure points- google Adidas and use their store locator) or by a video camera film of you running on a treadmill on which they overlay a software programme which highlights any irregular features in your gait. I know Up & Running use the latter. They will then point you at the range of shoes available to you dependent on your gait and the terrain you want to run on. From what you say above, I would suggest a trail shoe which will give you a bit of grip for offroad for the summer months but will still have some cushioning for road work. I have been used to paying £80odd for shoes because I am an overpronator but Up and Running do Salomon shoes and the last visit resulted in me only having to pay £50. One last point - depending on your mileage you want to change your shoes every 3- 6 months as the cushioning goes (obvious really when you think that 3 x your body weight is landing with each step)
  • Milkie
    Hi Milkie
    have been a runner both on and off road for > 35 years. The best place to start is getting your gait analysed; if you are a neutral runner no problem but if you are an over pronator (foot rolls inwards) or supinator (the opposite) or you run on your toes like a sprinter then you will need shoes to compensate for this.

John, thank you for the info. I did the foot test with water and paper, which suggests I'm a neutral runner, but thinking I should get a proper analysis and fitting done.

Hopefully should get into Bristol on Friday with a couple of other friends who want to get properly fitted too. I was going to go to Moti, but so many people have suggested Up & Running that I'm going to go there first.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Just seen this - I do a lot of trail running and cannot recommend Asics Morikos enough. Gore-tex so waterproof, very grippy, quite light and not too expensive (about £80).

I'm neutral footed.
  • JohnMcD
    Milkie wrote:
    Hi Milkie
    have been a runner both on and off road for > 35 years. The best place to start is getting your gait analysed; if you are a neutral runner no problem but if you are an over pronator (foot rolls inwards) or supinator (the opposite) or you run on your toes like a sprinter then you will need shoes to compensate for this.

John, thank you for the info. I did the foot test with water and paper, which suggests I'm a neutral runner, but thinking I should get a proper analysis and fitting done.

Hopefully should get into Bristol on Friday with a couple of other friends who want to get properly fitted too. I was going to go to Moti, but so many people have suggested Up & Running that I'm going to go there first.

Up and Running in Bristol is situated in North View in Henleaze. Coincidentally, I was in there not 20 minutes ago. The problem with Moti is that you can't park anywhere near it. If you can run 10k comfortably and are looking for a club to run with in Bristol (we run from real ale pubs within a 20 mile radius of Bristol) my club is Town and Country Harriers (tach.org.uk). We also get 10% discount with running shops!
  • Surf-Matt
    John - wish I'd known that when I lived in Bristol!

Just been up and had to resort to a couple of laps of the Downs as time was tight. Love running in Ashton Court/Leigh Woods/up the Avon pathway (used to live nr Pill) though.
  • JohnMcD
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    John - wish I'd known that when I lived in Bristol!

Just been up and had to resort to a couple of laps of the Downs as time was tight. Love running in Ashton Court/Leigh Woods/up the Avon pathway (used to live nr Pill) though.

Matt - I bet there are compensations where you live now (working from the web link on your post) - I have at least an hour and a quarter drive before I can get in the surf at Porthcawl.
    If you are ever up in Bristol on a Thursday night look up the run on the website and come out with us
  • Surf-Matt
    John - will do.
    Got to admit, it's amazing for running and surfing here.

And the surf is currently very very good - two hours session this morning and yesterday morning :D:D

Up in Bristol tomorrow for a stag do - uh oh...