Bike specification I want - so which bike!

dttlincs
dttlincs Posts: 384
edited May 2008 in Workshop
After trying to sort out "which bike" for some time I have started to think "which spec" hoping this will lead to the bike I want. Minimum spec as follows budget £1000 to £1400.
Prefer brand with good frame guarantee.
Groupset 105, if possible Ultegra but total groupset preferred not other branded brakes/cranks. Must be compact.
Wheels at least Mavic askium/Fulcrum R7/105 level.
Frame prefer carbon. Would consider Alu/Carbon or Alu if overall spec higher.
Carbon seatpot.
Saddle can be changed/swapped out at purchase.
I have thought of the following up to now, most don't quite meet the above spec:
Trek 1.9 = Only Alu frame but good spec. Prob need new saddle. £1000
Focus Cayo = Non series cranks. Prob need new saddle. Ultegra £1099
Spesh Tarmac Elite = Non series caranks/brakes. Wheels OK. £1299.
Giant Allianze Zero = Not compact. Giant branded wheels. New saddle.£1250.
Cannondale CAAD9 105 = Everything OK I think. £1000.
Scott CR1 Team = Everthing OK I think. £1400.
Planet X = Non series cranks and brakes. Prob need new saddle. But Dura ace! £999.
Any other suggestions?
Still thinking!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Well if your budget is upto £1400, you can afford to replace the crankset, brake calipers, and saddle on the Dura Ace P-X (although there isn't a DA Compact - but there's plenty of Shimano alternatives)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Kuota Kharma factory build?

Don;t be swayed by non group brakes/chainset on some bikes like the Planet X. They can easily be swapped if the price of the bike is right to start with.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

Don't worry too much about the groupset - but spend some more of your budget on wheels. 105 is fine for entry-level racing and sportives, but the cheap wheels will let you down.

Why not buy something for around £1000, then buy a second set of better wheels with the rest of your money - Kysriums or something similar. Keep the originals for training.

Cheers, Andy

ps I'm assuming that you're training for some event or other...
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Spesh Roubaix Elite reduced to £1099 so lots left for the extras etc
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Without knowing what you plan to use the bike for, and your size, weight and preferred style of riding - it's a hard call. Likewise, frame geometries vary - do you know what you need? It would be worth spending £50 on a bike fit - it'll help you get to a shortlist and means you don't needlessly spend money on things like new stems and bars trying to get your postion right. Answer these two questions and we'd be able to make an informed opinion. For guarantee I assume you mean warranty? A good warranty is not necessarily an indication of good quality - and can mask a history of poor products. Likewise, don't fall into the mistaken belief that a warranty covers you for crash damage.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Not sure on the compact issue (though I'm sure you could spec one) but if it was me it would be an Orbea Onix (Vuelta or Bira): lovely carbon frame for either £999 or £1099 from Epic cycles (http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/orbea.htm) depending on spec. I agree the Roubaix for £1099 looks bloody good as well though.

Having said that, I'd try and test ride as many as you can to see what they feel like. The 'on paper' tells you a bit, but nothing very much about what it's actually like to ride, whether it suits your body shape, preferred riding style etc. Also, ask yourself which bits of the bike will really make a difference to the way you ride... Frame geometry and wheels will, maybe frame material will a bit; but will a non-series crankset or Ultegra over 105 actually make you go any faster/easier? Unless you're really racing then probably not.

But the bottom line for me would be to go with the one that's the best when you're actually in the saddle...
  • dttlincs
    Thanks for the quick replies!
    I will try and add a bit more info to help these replys further.
    I am 6'1 weight just under 14st. Mostly cycle for fitness,occasional TT, triathlon and sportive.
    Ideally I want to get a bike that I do not need to(but may want to!) upgrade any parts on for some time hence the moderate min spec on the wishlist if you like.
    I put 105 as I would be happy with this as at the moment I hve Sora.
    In terms of crankset I just think a non series crankset cheapens the appearance of the whole bike but admit in some cases it may actually be upping the spec.
    Compact as I have a lowest gear of 39x25 at the moment and know that a need some lower gears for when I do a sportive. I do tend to spin not grind the gears so changing my present top gear of 52x12 to possibly a 50x12(or 11) would not be a great loss.
    Saddle best fit for me after trying a few are the spesh bg types.
    Warranty - I consider this in terms of carbon framed bikes. I know they do not tend to cover crash damage but I can always add the bike to the home insurance?
    Spesh roubaix elite - I have looked at this,it appears a good price but not sure if I want that type of geometry.
    One LBS has Spesh(roubaix + tarmac) Trek(1.9) + Orbea Onix which I can test ride. I will do so when I can. I will take my present bike to see how my present set up compares to the above.
    Still thinking!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    dttlincs wrote:
    I do tend to spin not grind the gears so changing my present top gear of 52x12 to possibly a 50x12(or 11) would not be a great loss.

Of course 50x11 would not be a great loss - it's bigger than 53-12.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dttlincs
    dttlincs wrote:
    I do tend to spin not grind the gears so changing my present top gear of 52x12 to possibly a 50x12(or 11) would not be a great loss.

Of course 50x11 would not be a great loss - it's bigger than 53-12.

So it is! My maths is not what it was!
    Still thinking!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Have a go on the Orbea Onix if you can. I love mine and I have tried most of the others you list, good bikes but the Orbea had an air of quality about it that I liked, at the end of the day though it has to fit properly. As for groupsets mine came with 105(Bria) which is fine for me, but if I was upgrading I would go to DA as Ultegra isn't enough of an upgrade to justify the cost. Same goes for the wheels as well, using WH550's at the moment but I really fancy the new DA alu/carbon ones, but thats between me, the wife and the bank manager :)
  • boyfriday
    boyfriday Posts: 103
    If the budget could extend by around £200, you could pick up a Colnago CLX with all of the parts that you require.

It's probably not the best suggestion as everyone else has given great tips which offer great value for your money, but at £1,600 the Colnago CLX is a steal - the frame alone is £1,500 to buy brand new.
  • Where is the CLX £1600?
  • boyfriday
    boyfriday Posts: 103
    Sorry, i should have said a 2007 CLX for £1,600.

Winstanley were doing them at that price, but when i mentioned it to my lbs they ordered one in for me at £1,600.

It's been a wonderful bike so far. And, the 2007 model is identical to the 2008 (i think) in respect of frame and spec, with the only difference being the 2008 model's colour scheme.
  • FYI. CTC are offering the carbon framed Cannondale Synapse compact with full 105 to members for £1199.99 this month. CTC membership is about £30 odd quid by the way.