HEy help wanted

omisid
omisid Posts: 5
edited May 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I hail from Lahore Pakistan and i just saw the sport of free ride or urban assault where u use the things around u and do tricks and stuff. Now i was interested in knowing abt the basic bike so u can perfect your skills. In pakistan they have no concept of hardtails and such. So here are my questions?

1. Is the first bike made of steel frame ok to learn thebalancing acts and stuff or is aluminum necessary?
2. Is a sloped seat necesaary or just a straight seart is fine?
3. is a 21 inch frame ok? or do u need a proper 26 inch bike?

I would really love to start but have a low budget and dont know what basic bike to get? could someone please help me out i would be much obliged :)

Comments

• dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    steel is fine. many hardtail jump bikes are made of steel as its much tougher and can handle the jumps and drops a bit better. steel is heavier but a well made frame will bring the weight down while maintaining strength

straight seat is fine.

with your final question you seem to be getting mixed up. your frame size is 21 inches and your wheels will no doubt be 26 inches - if its a mountain bike. so you already have a 26 inch bike if you see what i mean. many riders who do that sort of riding will maybe have a 17 or 19 inch frame with 26 inch wheels. having a smaller frame makes it much more manouverable. some of the guys with proper dirt jump bikes might only have a 14inch frame with 26 inch wheels.
  • omisid
    Thank you so much for your input. :). Ok now for some more questions if u dont mind.

1. Is it harder to prop the bike up on one wheel with a steel frame? i mean doesnt the weight make it harder?
    2. Also do these bikes need rear suspensions at all?
    3.what i meant by the seat was actually yhe frame of thebike? isa sloped frame necessary to get it up easier?
    4. Now we have korean bikes here and i dunno how much they weigh but i think it was 15-20 kilos. is that ok for thiskinda thing?
    5. The bike i kinda liked was a 21 inch frame i dunno how large the wheels were i didnt ask. Is that a good size for this sorta thing?
    6. I was also putting bigger seat and bigger pedals on does that help?
    7. im sorry im so confused i didnt know how else to put al lthis :)
    8. do bigger shocks at thefront help?

thank you for your time :)
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    1. Not really
    2. No - street bikes almost never have rear sus (except for the Transition Double, but don't worry about that) A street bike would usually look something like this.24seven%20001.jpg

3. Usually a street bike frame would be aroung 13-16 inches in seat tube length, to make it more manouverable. If you watch videos of the riding you describe on theis website
    http://www.youtube.com/
    You will see that the riders hardly ever sit down.
    4.15 is OK, 20 is possibly too heavy to chuck around easily
    5. As I mentioned above, that's a bit big if it's seat tube length. It could, however, be top tube length - make sure you check.
    6. Bigger seat - probably not. You won't be sitting down much! Bigger pedals will give your fott more support, and possibly more grip.

8. STreet bikes usually have rigid forks or forks with between 80 or 130mm travel at the front. To be honest it's down to personal preference. 100mm of travel is a common amount.

Hope this helps!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • omisid
    Hey man thanks for the reply for a second i thought no one was gonna answer!!.. sweet ride as well i havtasay... Well finally i did get around to getting a bike its the best i could make of the choice i had in this country!!! anywayz its a 16 inch seat tube lenght 26 inch wheels and front suspensions. Ill post the picture to u guys so u can check it out. I was mucking about with it a bit just to see how it handles. Its a bit heavy but im training with it so i can build some muscle and hopefully handle it easier? i guess its alright but like they say uneed a average bike to become a great biker or something. Anyhow i hope all this works out.. Im still figuring out how to hop lol... anywayz if u guys can post some intrusctional videos links... which i can watch onlineor something that would raell yhelp.. cheersr
  • omisid
    sorry that was 16 inch top tube lenght
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Search for instructional vids on here
    http://www.youtube.com/

Quality isn't great but you get the idea.
    Oh and that bike isn't mine! It's just a picture I found to illustrate what a street bike usually looks like.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs