Chainrings, Inter-changeable or not?

prophet_1000
prophet_1000 Posts: 307
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey Guys, advise needed,

I have purchased a new chain and cassette but still in need of a new middle chain ring, I have an FSA V-drive Mega Exo crankset fitted! I was wondering, do I have to replace the chainring (4 bolt, 104mm 32T) with another FSA middle ring or can I replace it with a middle ring of a different make but same size? i.e are the 4 mounting holes in the same place?

I ask this as I would like to upgrade my middle chainring while it needs replacing with something better (Middleburn, slick-shift, hardcoat) without the expense of a complete new crankset (until I can afford one that is!!)

Like this one

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3331

Any advise welcome.

Many thanks

Paul
www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited May 2008
    as long as the BCD is the same then yes you can.

now it does not say what the spacing on the 4 bolt rings are on there so ask. they could be standard or compact (104)BCD.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • prophet_1000
    prophet_1000 Posts: 307
    Cheers Nick, Very fast response!

Excellent :D
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!