Chain Replacement

roscoe
roscoe Posts: 465
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, looking for a bit of help here.

I managed to snap my chain yesterday and now need to replace it. Having looked, I fancy getting a SRAM chain. How do I know which one to buy?? I have a 2006 model Trek 3700, 21 speed.

Also looking at replacing the back brake blocks whilst I'm at it. Looked at Wiggle, lots of choice! Would the Kool Stop Mountains be compatible, or do I need to replace like for like.

Thanks

Ross

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so your bike has a 7sp cassette? then any 7spd compatable chain (6,7,8spd). and any brake blocks that work with your V brakes. And kool stop tend to be very good.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • newbiketime
    newbiketime Posts: 79
    First of start with how warn is your original chain. You can take it to any good bike shop and they can tell you. If its really warn you will have to get a new cassette and even possibly new chain rings and jockey wheels if its really really warn.

Now we looks at speed. As you have 21 speed you will have a 7 speed rear cassette. You can happily use a 8 speed chain on a 7 speed cassette. All the SRAM chains are good so I would just say get the cheapest one they do.

When fitting it you generally want it as long as possible with out it sagging or fowling the rear mech.

For something like a chain you would be silly not to just go to a local bike shop for it.

As for brake pads for the most part there much of a muchness. What brakes is it you have? Most V drakes use a generic pad. But some cheap ones are a bit odd. If its disc brakes you will have to get the correct one for the brakes you have, but that is quite easy as it will tell you on the pads as for what there for.

Your best bet it just take your bike to a good local bike shop.

Hope that helps :)
  • MountainPete
    MountainPete Posts: 418
    Why replace the whole chain? Can't you just replace the broken link?
  • roscoe
    Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of replacing the chain with a SRAM anyway Mountain Pete, to make cleaning easier.

Not being terribly technical minded, is it easy to fit a SRAM and the brake blocks? Doesn't look too complicated.

Would prefer to start learning to do things myself, rather than always relying on the bike shop.
  • newbiketime
    newbiketime Posts: 79
    As long as you have a chain tool and you get the chain at the correct length and remember to thread it correctly though your rear mech its not to hard. Same with brake blocks, as long as you set them so they hit the correct part of the rim and put the washers on correctly its not to hard. But you should ask your self why did the chain brake. You should let your bike shop at least have a look and see how warn everything is as putting a new chain on a warn cassette will end in the chain slipping over the teeth of the block and the gears never working correctly. You may wish to get them to just have a quick look after you have done the work just to be positive its safe. Normally if you get the parts from the shop they will be very helpful in advising you. Don’t forget bikes can be very dangerous so its worth having some one checking your work if you are not 100%.
  • roscoe
    That's a very good point Newbiketime.

It basically snapped when I was just starting to pedal hard up a hill. I was in far too big a gear, totally stupid. I might take it to the local LBS, just to make sure.

Cheers