GT85 and other lubes

musto_skiff
musto_skiff Posts: 394
edited May 2008 in Workshop
I was sold a can of this when I brought the bike.

After washing & drying the bike I squirt this on:

- Front & rear mechs
- break archs & levers
- Cable adjusters
- Pedals

I have read this stuff may degrease things; is the above OK?

I also lube the chain after each ride.

Should I be greasing anything and if so what grease?

Comments

• James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    GT85 is fine for all those things. After each ride may be excessive, though if you're washing with a hose it's also a water displacer so will keep water out of the tight spots you're applying it to.

I presume you're lubricating the chain with something else? GT85 isn't good for chains.

No need to grease anything after each ride but periodically depending on mileage and riding conditions (riding in the wet will need more frequent greasing) the wheel bearings, bottom bracket and headset are the main targets. Other stuff like pedal threads, seatpost, QRs will also benefit. The Park Tools grease or Dura Ace grease are fine.
  • musto_skiff
    I have some finish line stuff for the chain...

Thanks for the above.

I don't wash it every time; just when looking a bit mucky.

I will have to read my Zinn book about greasing those other bits ....
  • itisaboutthebike
    itisaboutthebike Posts: 1,120
    No need to grease anything after each ride but periodically depending on mileage and riding conditions (riding in the wet will need more frequent greasing) the wheel bearings, bottom bracket and headset are the main targets. Other stuff like pedal threads, seatpost, QRs will also benefit. The Park Tools grease or Dura Ace grease are fine.

Mmm - these days most BB's, headsets and wheel bearings (with one of two exceptions) are all 'fit and forget' sealed bearings so won't ever need (or in most cases can't) be re-greased I'm afraid.

I'd agree pedal threads and seatpots should be periodically re-greased, plus some light oil on front/rear derailler pivot points.

GT85 is great for CLEANING chains - but not much good as a lubricant(same for WD40). I'd go for something like Finish Line Pro Road
  • itisaboutthebike
    Oh - and I would recommend washing your bike down with a hose (unless you want to the water to penetrate the 'sealed' bearings !)
  • musto_skiff
    OK so I can forget the headset, BB & hubs; happy days ...

What is special about pedal threads?

What should I lube them with?
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    Reading this thread makes me think I may have been a bit of a numpty since I got my bike at the end of last summer but...

Since I got my bike I've used nothing but GT85 as lube on the chain, ridden through the crappy winter weather (about 2000 miles), and been my usual lackadaisical self when it comes to cleaning and maintenence. Pretty much every ride I go on sees some pretty serious hills (couldn't really avoid them if I wanted to!), so by now the chain should be knackered. However, when I asked my lbs to stick a new one on they said why bother, the one you've got's fine! Sure enough it's done many miles since and still feels sweet as a nut! It's only a bog standard ultegra job too, nothing fancy.

So in my experience GT85 ain't that bad, or have I just been very lucky?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Hmm, I don't like the spray WD40 or GT85, I tend to get it where you wouldn't really want it (like the rims).

I tend to wipe stuff down with a rag damp with white spirit, seems to give the same effect of getting rid of the black crap. And then I lube the chain with the chainlube and grease anything that needs greasing. I only tend to do it when the chain becomes noticeably black or after a wet ride.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • itisaboutthebike
    I did say MOST BB's, headsets and whel bearings.........what have you got on your bike ?

As for the GT85 nasahapley, I don't think you'll find many seasoned riders using it for lubrication - esp in the winter.

2000 miles - mmm depends on what kind of rider you are really and to some extent how you change gear (just backing off a little when chainging can reduce chair wear - tho not always possible on the chain gang or when racing tho..........). Plus what waether its had thrown at it and how much cleaning...............

Chains stretch - which accounts for most 'wear'.

I've stopped using a chain bath to clean my chains - I now use either thick baby wipes or those Aldi oil wipes every few rides.
  • musto_skiff
    I did say MOST BB's, headsets and whel bearings.........what have you got on your bike ?

I have a shimano Ultegra BB, Cane Creek headset & Bontrager hubs ... do they need attention?
  • itisaboutthebike
    Unlikely.

None of the Shaimano sealed BB's are user serviceable..........if you've got a CC headset (S3 or above quality) then it will have sealed bearings (which ARE replacebale - but they do last a long time).

Not sure about Bonty hubs. But I suspect you're looking at maybe 5-10k plus before they will need anything doing to them.
  • cydonian74
    cydonian74 Posts: 397
    As for the GT85 nasahapley, I don't think you'll find many seasoned riders using it for lubrication - esp in the winter.

???? GT85 is a teflon based spray, so it coats and protects(as well as penetrates between the links) of your chain, just like many (any) other teflon rich chain lubes. I think itisaboutthebike is right that not many seasoned riders will use it (GT85) as a chain lube;mainly because most are blinded by the wide range of greases and lubes out there. :shock:

I still use GT85 and have for years on all the previously mentioned parts of the bike,as well as my chain.IT IS A GREAT CHAIN LUBE. I do use a heavier wet lube on the winter bike though, like Finish Line, as i don't find that GT85 has the viscosity required to cling when its thrashing down with rain. GT85 is cheap and effective, No problem at all as a chain lube for regular use.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I use GT85/WD40 applied to a rag to wipe down the outside of a chain to keep it clean externally, but rely on Finish Line dropped onto each roller for lubrication - such a regime means I only have to give the chain a proper clean and lube every few months - depending on the weather and the type of riding. I also use the stuff after wet rides to displace any water and prevent corrosion
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I use GT85/WD40 applied to a rag to wipe down the outside of a chain to keep it clean externally, but rely on Finish Line dropped onto each roller for lubrication - such a regime means I only have to give the chain a proper clean and lube every few months - depending on the weather and the type of riding. I also use the stuff after wet rides to displace any water and prevent corrosion

+1
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Chains stretch - which accounts for most 'wear'.
    No - chains don't stretch at all, they just wear.

I do agree that unlike WD40, GT85 is OK as a chain lube - though I'd choose to use other things instead (it's a bit thin so will wash off easily).
  • musto_skiff
    Monty Dog wrote:

+1

How often are you wiping & dropping on the rollers?

And when you say "proper lube" what does that entail? and how often?