Isotonic Drinks

Dizzy the Egg
Dizzy the Egg Posts: 153
I know I posted this about a week ago but I can't seem to find the post anywhere.

Can anyone give me some recepies/tips on how to make your own isotonic drinks?

Cheers

Comments

• j4mmers
    j4mmers Posts: 6
    I make my own using products from online supplement stores. I generally have a mix of supplements to support the mix of activities I do (ie i have a protein shake too), but for an isotonic style drink I generally mix 1-2 scoops (50-100g) of maltodextrin and half to one scoop of dextrose with water and a splash of juice in a bottle. The dextrose is naturally very sweet and both powders are completely tasteless, so you don't really need a lot of anything else in there but water.

The maltodextrin is a great carbohydrate and slow releasing, its also the main constituent of most energy drinks. The dextrose is a sugar and provides a much quicker spike but isnt an efficient/long term energy boost... plus its bad for your teeth!

The beauty of buying these online and making your own drink is that you can get a 2 kilo bag which makes a lot of drinks, for the price of about 4 bottles of lucozade, and the more you buy the cheaper it is! I recommend these guys - myprotein.co.uk. You can get refill bags of powder very cheaply (a few quid) and just store them in plastic containers in your kitchen.
  • j4mmers
    oh yeah, you can have this before, during and after, just depends how hard and far youre going really, and what you need. I found it makes a lot of difference though.
  • Dizzy the Egg
    Dizzy the Egg Posts: 153
    What about glucose, would that work with a mix of fruit juice and water?
  • j4mmers
    Dextrose and Glucose are functionally the same, they are a simple carbohydrate and provide a quick energy boost. They are very, very sweet though, and it doesn't make for an easy drink. You'd probably find just the mix with water more than sweet enough.

I tend to mix both (meltodextrin + detrose), because it gives the quick pick up as well as a longer term energy source, and makes for a much nicer drink.

If that doesn't work for you, then there are some good ready made isotonic powder supplements in running shops, that will still work out cheaper than a few bottles of lucozade/similar. I think JJB also sell powdered lucozade.