Waterproof trousers

Alibran
Alibran Posts: 370
edited May 2008 in Commuting chat
Since discovering yesterday that waterproofs really are a good idea on a commute, I'm on the lookout for a pair of waterproof overtrousers. I'm hoping to find something that will fit fairly closely, but not restrict movement, like my jacket. Any suggestions? I found these on Wiggle, but the price is somewhere out of my league.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360026080&n=Gore%20Gore%20Alpine%20Ladies%20Waterproof%20Trousers

Oh, and since I'm a very small lady, they need to be female specific as unisex or men's sizes won't go small enough for me.

Comments

• Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Posts: 185
    I always find wearing shorts are the best. Tick all your boxes.
  • claash
    claash Posts: 145
    Hi,
    Try this web site! The girlie cycling gear is really great! Really good service too!!

http://www.minx-girl.com/

I just bought a pair of waterproofs from here..... not had chance to try them out yet but they appear to be good!
  • meanwhile
    meanwhile Posts: 392
    Waterproofs are a tricky subject. A lot depends on how fast you're cycling. If you're going fast enough to sweat and cycling far, then you need something that will keep the rain out but not keep the sweat in. This is supposed to be what Goretex does, but it doesn't.

Answers -

- Use a cape instead of tight waterproofs. Air flows under the cape and takes the water away. Doesn't look cool, but has worked for cycling for decades.

- Buy something made out of Event (search eg "Montane Event"). Keeps water out like Gtex but breathes like cotton. Pricey, but will work brilliantly.

- Take something non-waterproof and treat it with Nikwax. It will now breathe (if it did before) but repel water. A pair of combat trousers might work well, but Pertex windproof over-trousers would be even better (e.g. Montane Featherlights). You'll have to re-proof every so often.

If you have a pair of suitable combats (preferably polycotton) I'd grab a pack of Nikwax and start there.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Alibran wrote:
    Since discovering yesterday that waterproofs really are a good idea on a commute, I'm on the lookout for a pair of waterproof overtrousers. I'm hoping to find something that will fit fairly closely, but not restrict movement, like my jacket. Any suggestions? I found these on Wiggle, but the price is somewhere out of my league.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360026080&n=Gore%20Gore%20Alpine%20Ladies%20Waterproof%20Trousers

Oh, and since I'm a very small lady, they need to be female specific as unisex or men's sizes won't go small enough for me.

I've got the mens version of those and they're really very good. Search the net for sales as they do tick all the boxes except for cash left in pocket.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Alibran
    Thanks for the suggestions. Good to hear the trousers I've seen are good. I'll add them to my birthday list!

A couple of things I probably should have mentioned in my previous post .....

Although my favourite waterproof jacket is close fitting, I cycled to work the other day in one I bought last year from Halfords, before I lost a lot of weight, because it went over my rucksack as well. Despite it being relatively cheap, and I would guess not very breathable, I was no more sweaty when I arrived than when I cycle without a waterproof. I don't think I'm a very sweaty person.

I tried cycling in shorts (I guess you mean waterproof ones, though), and the water running down my legs got into my overshoes. Not a huge disaster as my shoes were only slightly damp, and I take a change of socks anyway, but it wouldn't work on a longer ride - my standard commute is 35-40 minutes.

The Minx Girl website looks great - more stuff to buy - but probably not for commuting. I'm on a road bike, and trying to get as streamlined as possible since most of my commute is fast, open roads.

Nikwax sounds really interesting. There's a shop near me that sells it, according to their website, so I'll buy some and have a go with it. Maybe try waterproofing some old jeans to start with, before I move on to cycling gear.

Thanks for the suggestions. They've given me a lot of things to consider, and hopefully I'll find a solution that works.
  • meanwhile
    Alibran wrote:
    Nikwax sounds really interesting. There's a shop near me that sells it, according to their website, so I'll buy some and have a go with it. Maybe try waterproofing some old jeans to start with, before I move on to cycling gear.

Re jeans... you can Nikwax them if use Nikwax "Cotton Proof", but they will need re-proofing everytime you wash. Polycotton and nylon/pertex hold Nikwax much better.
  • Shimnolo
    Shimnolo Posts: 10
    Although I'm naturally disappointed to read that you are not a sweaty person, I'll add my accumulated knowledge of riding in the wet.

First rule of commuting ....... less clothing is more, and trousers in particular are a pain to carry, to dry and to keep clean.
    Unless it's so cold your knees freeze just persevere with the shorts and overshoes. But here's an old-timers trick: wear plastic bags between your shoes and your overshoes, held tight to your ankles with elastic bands. Costs nothing and works a treat.

Second rule .... Black Lycra looks the same, wet or dry. Nobody will know. If you've somewhere to dry your shorts, over a radiator say, mine are usually nicely toasted before tea-break.

Third rule ... (s)he who wears the least looks the hardest.
  • marcba
    marcba Posts: 84
    Look for montain stuff; choice is far more important for overtrousers than in cycling clothes.
    If you want something very close, it must be fully elastic. But I think it is not the most important point to have a close fit, because you will not use your overtrousers as often as your vest; the volume taken by overtrousers in your bag (where it will wait for use most of the time) is far more important.
    I don't like cape because it does not protect from water coming from underneath (projections from cars, puddles...) and is totally useless when the wind is blowing (and in my neighborhood, wind is usually blowing when it rains).
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I just accept getting wet as an eventuality and just wear normal bib shorts with a wind/waterproof jacket.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nicchick
    nicchick Posts: 49
    shhhhhhh, but......
    Dont tell anyone but Minx sell the alpine lady pants and until the end of this month have a promotion with this months Zest magazine.

Just type "Zest" as the promotion code and you get 20% off.... means the expensive £115 trousers are a cheaper £92......

I have bought a few bits and bobs from Minx and have to say I have been very pleased with them. The stuff comes very quickly.

I am also a "little lady" and I prefer to cycle in knee length shorts. Less to get wet when it rains. I have a couple of pairs of sombrio shorts and they fit really well.

nic :D
  • Cyclegent
    Cyclegent Posts: 601
    I don't bother with waterproof trousers unless it is really raining stair rods, as I find your legs get pretty damp from sweat anyway. I prefer ordinary trousers in cotton (summer) or lightweight wool (winter) treated with nikwax, scotchgard or what have you. This does fine for most weather. Dark colour of course won't look wet and or show chain grease, mud etc so much.

I have a cape but find they flap about too much and anyway dont' protect your legs much. You can get waterproof cycling chaps (that just cover the front of your legs) but I've not tried these.
    \'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It\'s a daily mode of transportation. People don\'t dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.\' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I've got decent showers at work and I always take a full change of clothes in my backpack so I just accept getting wet and, in fact, I actually quite enjoy it sometimes - knowing that as soon as I get to my destination (whether it's home or work) I've got a hot shower and change of clothes waiting.

I don't even have overshoes, just keep a spare pair at work. I've arrived at the office with squelchy trainers a few times but it's kind of nice in a way. Certainly better than getting the train.
  • Alibran
    meanwhile wrote:
    Re jeans... you can Nikwax them if use Nikwax "Cotton Proof", but they will need re-proofing everytime you wash. Polycotton and nylon/pertex hold Nikwax much better.

Which one do you use for polycotton? I checked on the Nikwax website, and they say you should use Cotton Proof, which was part of the reason I thought I'd test it on old jeans before I used it on something that mattered.

Also, is there a product you can use on stretch fabric? I was assuming it could only be used on rigid fabrics, but now I'm beginning to wonder.
  • Alibran
    Shimnolo wrote:
    First rule of commuting ....... less clothing is more, and trousers in particular are a pain to carry, to dry and to keep clean.
    Unless it's so cold your knees freeze just persevere with the shorts and overshoes. But here's an old-timers trick: wear plastic bags between your shoes and your overshoes, held tight to your ankles with elastic bands. Costs nothing and works a treat.

Thanks for this. I may try it. On the one occasion I rode in shorts in the rain, I did have problems with my knees getting painful (had this when I first started cycling, but it had gone away). I usually wear Ronhill running tights over shorts, and they keep me warm even when they're soaking wet, but I decided to experiment last week.
    Shimnolo wrote:
    Second rule .... Black Lycra looks the same, wet or dry. Nobody will know. If you've somewhere to dry your shorts, over a radiator say, mine are usually nicely toasted before tea-break.

I'm not bothered about how it looks. I want to be warm. I have nowhere to dry my clothes. All my stuff has to be in my locker before I leave the depot, or I have to carry it with me all day. My work also has no shower or changing facilities. I have to change in a very small toilet cubicle, and on Sunday had to wipe the water and road dirt off my legs as best I could with paper towels.
    Shimnolo wrote:
    Third rule ... (s)he who wears the least looks the hardest.

I can totally relate to this on training rides, but I want to arrive at work comfortable.
  • Alibran
    Just wanted to add, it's very windy here in the far west of Cornwall too. If there's bad weather coming in, it tends to hit us first. That said, it's been a lovely day today (pretty rare for a day off), and I managed to get out for a couple of hours just enjoying myself on the bike, which doesn't happen very often.
  • meanwhile
    Alibran wrote:
    meanwhile wrote:

Which one do you use for polycotton? I checked on the Nikwax website, and they say you should use Cotton Proof, which was part of the reason I thought I'd test it on old jeans before I used it on something that mattered.

I'd use the Cotton Proof on polycotton too. I think that's what I used, and it seemed to survive washing for a few goes. You might ask on a hiking forum/newsgroup. Those people virtually eat and drink the stuff.

Btw, you can buy spray as well as wash-in Nikwax. And getting the stuff you're treating clean before is crucial.
    Also, is there a product you can use on stretch fabric? I was assuming it could only be used on rigid fabrics, but now I'm beginning to wonder.

You can definitely use it on stretch fabrics. Modern softshells can be quite stretchy.
  • richardast
    richardast Posts: 273
    Just don't do what I did and buy the cheap and cheerful Wiggle dhb waterproof and "breathable" trousers. They aren't. Not even a little bit.
    As others have said, shorts are the way forward if it's raining.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    No points for style but what about some Ronhills with the water repellent finish (try wiggle they had them cheap.

Failing that some tights with a water repellent finish.
  • JavaBob
    JavaBob Posts: 148
    I don't think breathable waterproofs like Pertex and Goretex should be tight fitting. The sweat needs to have space to convert to gas before it can transfer through the fabric. If it is cold then a chunky fabric under the breathable fabric is ideal. Your clothes will get damp like clothes that have just come out of the spin drier so should be bone dry within an hour of getting to the destination.

Breathable fabrics cannot work when they are wet on the outside. So if it is pouring down you will get sweaty. However most downpours are short lived and the rain should form bubbles that run off quickly. This is when the breathable can get to work again. Also if the sweat gas can find a dry part it can evaporate there.
  • CadmannUK
    CadmannUK Posts: 86
    Hi,

I just use normal lycra shorts over some decent legwarmers with overshoes over my road shoes and a decent windtech jacket. (I carry a Gortex waterproof lightweigh jacket in my bag in case of a downpoor.

I'm lucky at work we have showers, drying rooms etc to help out our kit, but at my old place, I'd have to put back on the wet and damp stuff for the commute home, but after only a few miles I'd be nice and toasty again....

With the legwarmers/armwarmers route, you have more options....

CAD
    **** No Mater which direction you start, its always against the wind coming back!! ****
    **** Guess RB1, Polar S725X Team Edition ****
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    As an idea, try rainlegs - search it on google. they're like rain chaps which roll down, and have elastic at the bottom so you can roll up your trousers if you're wearing trousers and tuck them in.

They're great as very compact, all I ever use for water protectionm on my legs. I commute in London, though, not through the countryside.

Also, I use Shimano SPD clippy sandals, as you're a little lady they migth not make them small enough, but my flipper feet help me out there - sandals dry a whole lot faster than shoes!