Madone 4.5 or Roubaix Elite Compact

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I have an S-WORK Tarmac but want a more relaxed position with higher handle bars.

Which of the above gives the most comfortable geometry?

Or is there anything else?

Advice appreciated

Flyer

Comments

• sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    I have a Roubaix elite and it's relaxed and very comfortable, I looked at the Trek but thought the Spesh was better value, I never road the Madone so maybe it's unfair to post but wouldn't swap my Roubaix
  • thexvw
    thexvw Posts: 135
    Same here, I have a roubaix comp & expert, great comfortable bikes, but I have never ridden a Madone
  • keebo
    keebo Posts: 44
    Definitely the Roubaix - better ride and fewer wheel/spoke problems than with the Bontrager wheels on the Trek. the Pro-set stem on the Roubaix gives you more options in relation to handlebar height.
    Keebo,
    Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat!
  • El Nino 9
    El Nino 9 Posts: 22
    Anymore thoughts about this?! I'm thinking about these two too............
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I love my Roubaix Expert, Very comfortable, even on long day rides and quite enough performance for me, thank you very much.

Never ridden a Trek.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• El Nino 9
    El Nino 9 Posts: 22
    I took a short trip to a bike shop on the way home from work earlier..... The particular shop only had the Specialized Tarmac Comp in a 54 for me to sit on, it felt rather good.... I think has put a spanner in the works......
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Can't tell you how much I love my Roubaix Pro - it is very comfy indeed! Bought the frameset and built it up using the following:

Ultegra groupset
    Mavic Open Pros on Ultegra hubs
    Bontranger stem and bars (alu)
    Selle Italia flite saddle
    Look Keo pedals

Tested a few Treks and didn't get on with them, but only beacuse of geometry. Can't fault the Roubaix in that respect, but each to their own.
  • Bike2work
    Bike2work Posts: 79
    Thanks for this. I haven't posted for a while but you've tempted me back. I've a Spesh Sirrus which I've been riding to commute and more recently longer outings up to 50 miles so far (and will be doing the 72 mile great Yorkshire Bike Ride this week-end).

With all the money I'm saving not having a car, I'm wondering about getting something a but quicker, lighter, more aerodynamic but still comfortable such as the Roubaix (? the comp) for longer rides. I'm too long in the back for a more racey type. I'll keep the Sirrus for commutes and canal towpath type rides.

My question: I'm familiar with the Specialized range but not sure what the equivalent alternatives to the roubaix are from the other manufacturers ? Can anybody help please ?