Moving On Up

Diego Sideburns
Diego Sideburns Posts: 2
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
I'm a relative newcomer to all this & only been biking for about 3 years now. Because I didn't know how things would pan out I bought the cheapest Mountain Bike I could at the time - Apollo FS26 from Halfords with full suspension - don't laugh.

Anyway I am now ready to move up a notch but don't really want to spend more than £350 - £400 because the mileage I do doesn't really warrant spending much more. I'm a fair weather biker and only do April - October. I don't do mountains and my local routes are mainly canal towpaths and country lanes.

My question really is would I notice a big difference in buying a bike in the £350 - £400 range compared to what I have now. I've been looking at the Carrera range & Specialized Hardrock but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    There is quite a lot of difference between what you have now & what you're looking at, a hardtail is the way to go (no rear sus)

Carrera are very good bikes (if only I could say the same for Halfords ;) )

The Hardrock is quite heavy compared to most bikes in the £400 price range, but is a decent enough bike.

Mongoose Tyax is also well worth a look.

When looking for a new bike, try to get one with a fork that has rebound damping, it makes for a much better ride than an undamped fork, which is like a pogo stick ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg