Merida Challenge..whats a good time?

onabike
onabike Posts: 68
edited June 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi,

I did the Merida mountain bike ride in Ruthin today. I did the 73km ride.

What would you say is a good time? I thought they'd give me a position but I dont think they do.

Comments

• Johnclimber
    Johnclimber Posts: 92
    I did the same distance today at Ruthin in 4hr's 35mins on my Single Speed.

What was your time?
  • onabike
    onabike Posts: 68
    I finished in about 4hrs. Maybe 4hrs 15 something like that. However for various reasons ( which may sound like excuses perhaps) I reckon I could of done the ride comfortably under 4hrs, maybe 3.30-3.45 hrs. I've no idea what's a good or bad time. I've a feeling i never saw the fastest guys, I suspect they wisely started at the front and then just took off.

Reason i ask is because i just seemed to spend the day going past people, which surprised me. The only other guys i've mountain biked with are some guys from work, but they're pretty good with several TransAlps under their belts.
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    The top guys did the 92km course in 4hrs2mins. Im not sure what a good time would be for the 73k, maybe 3-3.5 hours? I suspect most of the fast guys would do the full distance.

If you spent the day overtaking people then I would suggest you start nearer the front and then you will be with riders of a similar ability to yourself.
    This is better as the back markers tend to be less proficient on the descents and technical bits as well which can cause trouble if you get stuck behind them.
    These events attract all levels of mountain biker from complete novice to pro racer. I was feeling like superman as the routes converged and I started overtaking the slower riders!

It sounds like you got a good time though, so why not try the full distance next time?
  • jezclog
    jezclog Posts: 1
    They can't give you a position because
    They don't have race insurance and giving you a position makes it legally a race
    One can't easily hold mass start races in Britain, it's a nightmare to close roads
    You are not allowed to race cycles on bridleways