What lengths of spoke to get

Boffington
Boffington Posts: 281
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
how do you work out what length of spoke you need for a Hope Pro II front hub and Halo Freedom Disc rim?

and could someone just tell me what length i'm gonna need as well. i just thought i better find out how to do it myself at the same time for future referance.

cheers
I took falling off bikes...and turned it into an art!

Comments

• newbiketime
    newbiketime Posts: 79
    It will depend on how you want to lace it, how many spokes you are using and the size of nipples. But on a 32 hole, a 3 cross lace and 12mm nipples. I would be guessing around 260/261 ish with a standard spoke. I don’t really know the rims that well so it is a guess :?
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Boffington
    Boffington Posts: 281
    yeah i went on the spoke calculator and it said two different lengths for left/right. but surely theres no dish on the front wheel so why would you need different length spokes.

also on the calculater when it ask about "intersections" is that the spoke pattern? i.e. 3 crossed or 2 crossed?
    I took falling off bikes...and turned it into an art!
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    No dish on a front wheel? What about the brake rotor mount?
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Boffington wrote:
    yeah i went on the spoke calculator and it said two different lengths for left/right. but surely theres no dish on the front wheel so why would you need different length spokes.

also on the calculater when it ask about "intersections" is that the spoke pattern? i.e. 3 crossed or 2 crossed?

about 95% of all MTB wheels are offset dished.

who is doing the build? let them get the spokes and nipples. as you will most likely be using 14mm or 16mm nipples.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown