Riser Bars and Stem setups

jibbber
jibbber Posts: 75
edited June 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi,

Just recently bought a Giant Anthem 1 and after one ride down in Thetford have decided I don't like the long stem and flat bars that came with the bike. Nice componets (Raceface XC Evolve), really good weight, etc, but the just don't suit my riding style, I felt too hunched over and there wasn't enough bend in my arms. Consequently I got arm ache and very slight back ache.

So I wanna get a shorter stem and some decent riser bars. Quite like to get some Carbons or light ally ones.

Any advice? What are all the degrees of bend suited for (i.e. Bend: 9° sweep 5° upsweep, etc), what are the rise differences suited for. Any recommendations for good responsivness but comfortable too?

Cheers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Much of it is preference. A shorter stem will quicken the steering, but obviously bring the bars closer to you, and make you more upright. Bar rise is self explanotory, extra width can give more control through more leverage, while sweep again brings your hands back (and the angle of your grip changes slightly). You can rotate the bars a little to achieve different set ups, and flip the stem over as well as raising and lowering it if you have stem spacers.
  • jibbber
    I love the racy feel of my Anthem, so don't want to effect the overall feel of the bike (or weight), but just want to adjust the stance slightly to be slightly more comfortable on longer rides. Plus I don't want them too wide as I mainly do tight single trak, but also don't want to lose responsivness. Any recommendations on a happy meduim for all of that?

These are the current bars and stem
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20470

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7222
    (130mm)

Any views on these for bars and the same stem as above, but in 70mm -
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7153
    (2" rise)
  • Bighead
    Bighead Posts: 260
    Hi I have the Easton CNT EC90 riser bar in 25.4mm. It is a really nice bar and it is noticably more forgiving that the alloy one it replaced. My one weighed in at 135.8 grams so not too heavy either.
  • supersonic
    Dropping from 130mm stem to 70mm is a massive change! Most people quite easily notice 10mm at a time, but of course it is inpractical to buy 7 stems lol. I think if you went for a 2inch rise bar and 70mm stem you will change it too much from what it is.

How about a 100mm stem and 1inch riser bar? Actually that is the combo I use on my XC bike (the Zaskar)
  • jibbber
    supersonic wrote:
    Dropping from 130mm stem to 70mm is a massive change! Most people quite easily notice 10mm at a time, but of course it is inpractical to buy 7 stems lol. I think if you went for a 2inch rise bar and 70mm stem you will change it too much from what it is.

How about a 100mm stem and 1inch riser bar? Actually that is the combo I use on my XC bike (the Zaskar)

LOL, I am always doing that. one extreme or the other.... Yeah I guess you are right, may be a bit drastic. I have just put on an old Kore stem and Tioga riser bars (soooo heavy in comparison!), to see how they feel. Not sure of the measurements, will need to check on that. Weather is well poo at the moment, but will get out on the bike as soon as poss to check them out.

Thanks for the advice :)
  • jibbber
    Bighead wrote:
    Hi I have the Easton CNT EC90 riser bar in 25.4mm. It is a really nice bar and it is noticably more forgiving that the alloy one it replaced. My one weighed in at 135.8 grams so not too heavy either.

Yeah they look pretty cool, and nice and light. Must admit, I never thought I'd be looking at handle bars for £80+ lol! No point putting a £20 set on a 2k bike though, is there :D
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    My 2007 Anthem came with Race Face Next SL low rise bars and a 110mm or 120mm RF Deus stem (can't remember).

It felt too stretched out for me, so I'be swapped the stem for a 90mm one I had spare - and I'm much happier with the riding position now.

I am considering swapping to OS stem and bars though - as the steering seems a bit flexy when I get back on it after riding my other bikes. Maybe you should consider that if you're buying a new bar and stem anyway?
  • supersonic
    I have the Raceface Next low riser, seen them on Merlin for 40 quid! Which is a total bargain.

Loads of stems out there, can pick up perfectly capable XC weight stems for 20 quid or so such as the Kooka race and the SMICA.

I use the Kooka Rac, and my riser bars and 100mm stem together weight just 301g - for 60 quid!
  • jibbber
    I measured up wrong! The existing stem was a 110mm 6 degree.

I've tried the kore stem which is a 90mm and some 1" riser bars and although much better, I still think I could go a little bit shorter and higher. There just is not enough bend in my arms.

So.... I am gonna go for a 70mm 6 degree stem and some nice light carbon 1 - 1.5" riser bars.... Just gotta decide which was to get now, at least I've narrowed it down a bit.
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    Most people quite easily notice 10mm at a time,
    I definitely agree with that. I went from a 105 to a 90mm stem and was amazed how much different it made. I damn near crashed off the inside of the 1st corner!

Why not experiment with cheap bars (eg Easton E30, £15 from Merlin I think) and when you know what you want spend the money on carbon etc? You can always keep the cheap ones for spares or flog them on ebay.....

Toby
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    tjm wrote:
    Most people quite easily notice 10mm at a time,
    I definitely agree with that. I went from a 105 to a 90mm stem and was amazed how much different it made. I damn near crashed off the inside of the 1st corner!

Why not experiment with cheap bars (eg Easton E30, £15 from Merlin I think) and when you know what you want spend the money on carbon etc? You can always keep the cheap ones for spares or flog them on ebay.....

Toby

+1
    I got 3 raceface prodigy's off Wiggle only £5-10 each at the time. 130-110-90mm and have a 1" riser bar
    Each one takes abit to get used to then there fine. I still can't decide which is best. 130 is out now I would say but the others..... I have found it probs the most difficult bit of my bike to make my mind up with :?