Upgrading to full XT shifting, one new, one (very) old..

Megatron-UK
Megatron-UK Posts: 91
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Basically I want to upgrade my old bike (1995 Kona Lava Dome) and the new one I have on the way ('07 Dawg Deluxe) to full XT shifting.

The Lava Dome has been upgraded a few times and has a combo of original 1995 STX front mech, crankset and 7spd cassete, 2000 rear Deore LX mech, and 2000 STX 7spd rapidfire pods. It's gone mushy and the rear cassete is on it's last legs. I'm pretty sure technology has moved on and weights have reduced in the last 13 years!

The new bike which is hopefully coming this week has XT rear mech, Deore front mech, Raceface XC crankset, Deore 9spd cassete and Deore shift pods.

I'm not bothered about the hubs, and even though the 1995 bike only has an STX hub, I'd rather keep it as-is, and just fit a newer cassete if that's possible.

I'm sure that it will be trivial to replace the Deore shifters, cassete and front mech on the 2007 bike with M770 XT components (I know I need a top pull front mech, but other than that, I think it's plain sailing), but is it just as simple to replace all the old 7spd kit on the older bike with the exact same M770 kit?

Also, is it worth replacing the crankset on the old bike with something modern?

Finally, any ideas of the weight loss and how much of a difference in shifting the above XT equipment will have over the fitted Deore kit on the 2007 bike?
Kona Dawg Deluxe ('07)
Kona Lava Dome ('95)

Losing weight and (slowly) getting fitter...

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You cannot fit a 9spd cassette on an 7spd freehub. You would need a new hub/wheel, and if the old frame is spaced at 130mm, rather than the 135 of modern 8 and 9spd, you'd need to spread the frame.

I'd stick with 7spd - still can pick up stuff from CRC and the likes.

Performance wise, the XT is lighter, a bit crisper and will last longer. Fresh out of the box there will not be that much inn it, especially the front shifting!
  • Megatron-UK
    Megatron-UK Posts: 91
    Ok, got it. I'd need to stick to 7 speed unless the frame is 135mm wide.
    It doesn't appear as if there is much choice in the way of 7spd kit any more; pretty much limited to STX shifters which I already have and LX freehub/cassete.

I presume any front/rear mech will still work, regardless of whether its supposed to be used on a 7/8/9spd?
    Kona Dawg Deluxe ('07)
    Kona Lava Dome ('95)

Losing weight and (slowly) getting fitter...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They will work, though a specific front mech will be better as the cage with a 9spd is a tad narrower.

STX works well! New cassette, chain (6, 7 and 8 speed chains are the same) and possibly chainrings if worn.