TT Frame on road bike setup, UCI legal?

alexie
alexie Posts: 7
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi everyone! posted this topic in the equipment section but think its better suited here.

My current road bike has a standard road frame geometry with seat tube angle of 73 degree's, it is a size 52 frame (center-to-center) which i think is right for my height, i am 5'7 male. however i have a problem! i am unable to get into a neutral knee position! no matter how forward i move my saddle my knee still lies posterior to the pedal axial, even with the saddle forward at its maximum my knee remains posterior by approx 2cm.

To my amazement after some internet research i found that some people do have this problem which is related to the difference in thigh to lower led length difference which normally is a ratio of 1.3 to 1 (thigh to lower leg). It appears i am one of those with a longer lower leg, hence my inability to reach a neutral knee position over the pedals.

It seems the solutions is to go for a frame with a steeper 75 degree + seat tube angle. This leads me on to my main question, i am thinking about purchasing a Cervelo P2C tt frame and using it on a road setup with road bars opposed to aero, but does anyone know if this is UCI legal for road racing??? I mean look at the tubes on that thing! esp the seat post!! :lol: but also i did see this interesting article on velonews of ivan dominguez from toyota racing team who's road bike has a TT frame. But im not sure of the exact rules on this as his bike sports less aggressive airfoil shapes then the P2C.

http://www.velonews.com/article/74975/
http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=P2C2008

my main choice in this frame is profoundly because of the increase seat tube angle to 75 degree's, but also because im planning on having a go at triathlon/duathlon next season but would also like to still road race.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    How about trying one of these forward angled seatpins?

Can't see why a P2C couldn't be used for road racing although getting a rear wheel in and out of the rear facing dropouts in a hurry could be a problem. Not aware of any specific rule that would outlaw the geometry but you'd maybe best check the British Cycling rulebook before taking the plunge:
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... lebook.asp

2008-P2C-White.gif
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Do you have any layback on your seat post. If so a straight one would help by about 2cm. You may even be able to find one that will reverse giving about 4cm further forward. Also some saddles have more rail adjustment tan others so you may find help this way. A more expensive option would be a Cervelo Soloist frame which used to have a reversable seat post which I believe gave the equivilent of a 76 deg seat tube.
    The geometry of a TT frame would not be ideal for road racing as they are usually a bit longer at the front to improve weight distribution and stability when in a TT position.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    How about getting a bike fit from a LBS, a road bike built with that frame would look very odd and would probably not handle too well.

Once the measurementsR have been taken from the bike fit, the shop would be able to make frame recommendations which would work best with your body.

Furthermore, i would think that you'd need alot of headset spacers to get high enough on a frame designed to be built into a low pro.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • alexie
    alexie Posts: 7
    I have just purchased a new new seat post! one without the lay backs as mentioned by another member. And yes it worked! I was able to achieve approx 2cm or more room to move the saddle forward.

Now i am able to achieve a neutral knee over pedal spindle position and feel stronger pedaling whilst sitting comfortably.

However now i find that the saddle is too close to the bottom bracket i.e. 3cm from bb center making my bike setup technically uci illegal.??

what options do i have? first thing that comes to mind is change my saddle for a shorter one. And what purpose those the 5cm rule rule serve anyways??
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    There is a rule somewhere in there that in the case of extraordinary bodily proportions, certain rules regarding bike sizing can be ignored. I can't remember the exact wording, but I'm 95% sure it's in there somewhere. However, it would be down to the race adjudicator to make the final decision. It should be fine as long as you show them the exception and explain why it's needed.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    How would riding a Cervelo TT bike with road set up any differant to the soloist that they make which is an aero road bike?