Insurance to cover bike on plane

danshocking
danshocking Posts: 10
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I am taking my road bike on a plane in a few weeks.

My home insurance will cover my bike whilst away except whilst it is with the airline. All travel insurance that I have looked at will only cover an individual item up to around £300. My bike is worth about £2000.

Any ideas? Thanks, Dan

Comments

• JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Spoke to a Canadian in Italy a few weeks ago, who said that his mate had taken out the optional insurance direct with the airline - so it may be worth checking out what they offer.
  • danshocking
    I have checked this, and their policy does not help.

Thanks anyway, Dan.
  • danshocking
    I have spoken to my home insurer again who now say my bike is covered for the entire trip- their mistake, and I have had it confirmed in writing by the underwriters.

Thanks again, Dan.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Dan

Can I ask how much it is costing to put your bike on the plane and how you have gone about it?

I saw my old boss last month who lives at the bottom of Mt Ventoux and has invited me over to his this year to have a crack at the climb so I was going to be looking into doing all of this myself.
  • danshocking
    I'm flying with British Airways. I did not have to pay anything in addition to the cost of my flight- about £80 return to Geneva. I found this cheaper than the additional £25 return that Ryanair charge to carry a bike (and Gatwick was more convenient for me than Stanstead).

British Airways say that they are happy to take any kind of single bike box or bag. I'm hiring one from my LBS for a week for £30.

Cheers, Dan
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Nice one dan. As I fancy doing quite a few trips abroad (my dad also lives out in the Ayora Valley Spain) I was thinking of investing in a bike bag myself but great to know they are happy to carry it.