First 1000 miles

fat_doogs
fat_doogs Posts: 6
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi All,

New to the forum but have been reading all the posts for the last couple of months. Had some great tips from you all and really enjoyed hearing all the stories.

Well, that's me just done my first 1000 miles, feeling rather proud of myself. Started out because the wife passed her driving test and I had the choice, another car or a bike to get to work on (15 miles each way), chose the bike and went out and got myself a nice little (last years model) Saracen road bike. Here is how it's went.

First day nearly knocked down by some girl in a car texting, I was coming up to a T junction going right and she was coming from the left turning right, there is an island to separate the lanes at this one but she was so busy with her phone that she took the wrong lane and was heading straight at me, just saw it in time and managed to get out of the way. Gave her a right shouting at as she stopped in shock, soon as I started shouting though she was offski and i was left there in the middle of the road screaming my head off, much to the bewilderment of the next car to pass who hadn't seen it happen

First couple of weeks legs were in agony, some mornings i couldn't get down the stairs without yelping in pain - pushed through it though and pain is now away and the legs feel as strong as they ever have. Looking back may have been too optimistic that at 35 years old and having done no cycling for about 10 years that i'd be able to just jump on the bike and do 150 miles worth of commuting each week.

Had one wheel smashed in a road rage attack by three neds in a car - the wheel was needing replaced by this point anyway as i'd been trying to true it due to a spoke being loose and made a bit of a mess of it. An excuse to get a nice new wheel!!

Frame on the new bike developed a nice crack on it, Saracen sent me a new one straight away, great sevice, from a much more expensive bike. Even had a chap with a gorgeous cannondale synapse comment on what a nice bike it is coming home from edinburgh one evening so more than happy with the new frame.

Lost 2 stone in weight - down from 18st (probably what made the frame crack) to 16 st and it's coming off fast so more progress to follow and i'm now fitting into the new clothes the missus bought me at christmas.

Average speed up from 14mph to 16.5mph (17.8mph best yet but felt a bit sick at work after that) on the commute - I think it's a hilly one but probably not compared to what some of you chaps may think is hilly. Not tried a run yet without the rucksack on my back which i sense must be slowing me down a bit.

NO PUNCTURES!!!!

Been overtaken by faster cyclists too many times, but now starting to be able to get past some folk myself and loving being able to do that.

Loving it so much that i've started to take a longer route back from work each day, works out great as there is less traffic and better scenery.

So far i've had a great time on the bike, really feel the fitness getting better, legs stronger, more energy and now plotting how I can get more time on the bike to get through the next 1000 miles in double quick time. Even thinking about trying to get out with the west lothian roadies some saturday morning as i live close by their starting point, but not sure i'm ready for them yet as they seem to be a buch of hardcore racers.

sorry about the long post but so much to tell.

cheers

Doogs

Comments

• sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Well done Doogs

you're right lots to tell and all good postive stuff, keep it going and that weight falling off and in no time I'm sure you'll be out and about with the west Lothian roadies

Looks like you've got the bug :D
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Well done mate - However, where on earth do you live - Sound like they're a bunch of psychos!