Bike help...

steveng
steveng Posts: 23
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
I am stuck in a quandry as to what bike to buy.

I have narrowed it down to a choice of 2, either the Orange P7 or the Merida matts trail 850D, i will mostly be using them for trail riding Glentress etc :)

Can anoyone help me out with my dilemma please as i really cant choose between them :oops: :lol:

Comments

• edzio
    edzio Posts: 50
    Have you sat on and tried them both?
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    You wouldn't be disappointed with an Orange P7. I've got an ancient one and it's great for things like Glentress and also for long natural rides in the hills.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • steveng
    edzio wrote:

Yes i have buddy and i liked them both :)
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Toss a coin?
    Go British?
    Go with your heart?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • edzio
    edzio Posts: 50
    steveng wrote:
    edzio wrote:

Yes i have buddy and i liked them both :)

Then you're buggered!!
    List the positives and negatives of them all and then see what one looks better!? Or toss a coin? Or put them in a hat?!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    well atleast you have selected similar types of bikes which makes the choice easier.

now i am going to make myself unpopular here but for my money it would have to be the merida, for a number of reasons.

firstly, the p7 is heavy. in my opinion, the only real advantage to a hardtail is lower weight than an equivalent full susser. if you are gonna ride a 30-31 lbs hardtail for a grand, i reckon you are better off with a full susser (especially if you are only going to ride one bike). the merida is under 27lbs.

second, for the same priced p7 to the merida, you are getting better spec with the merida.

3rdly, the merida is a much better looking bike.

4thly, i have owned a modern p7 (2007 model) and no matter what i did to it, i couldnt get on wth it and as for the supposed springy ride of steel, i never noticed it.

all just my opinion of course
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    You wont go wrong with either bike. The extra weight is only like carrying 2 - 3ltr of water (ie not too noticeable). I'd go for the Orange but i'm pretty bias to them..
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The weight is noticable to many people mind. 4lbs is a hefty chunk - its all about where it is and how it is used.
  • steveng
    Well guy's i have made my choice.....

I opted for the merida as out the box it has better component's and IMHO it looks better. It was a very tough choice considering the great reputation orange bike's have but i decided to go with the more modern looking bike, fingers crossed i should have it in the next week or so :D

Thanks for all the input guy's :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hope it works out well for you mate, cant wait for your review, certinly looks to be the better bike, the review on here shows it to be a nice bit of kit.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... d-08-30966
  • RhysD
    RhysD Posts: 105
    any view on the merida now? let me know
  • steveng
    RhysD wrote:
    any view on the merida now? let me know

Apologies for the late review...

The bike is superb IMHO and i have been out enjoying the good weather and tracks on the west coast :D the bike handles well, is really light and looks superb so i canny grumble at all, if you buy the 850 you wont be dissapointed :) 8)
  • RhysD
    RhysD Posts: 105
    thanks steve - i actually bought the 550, and agree - superb bikes.