Bike part exchange at shops?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi.

I am just wondering do any bike shops offer part exchange for new bikes or something? Basically I have this Carrera Vanquish, it is too small and I was wanting to see if I could trade that in with cash aswell for a new bike.

Is this possible?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Very few shops offer Part Ex in my experience. You'd be better selling on the forum or Ebay, most shops will give a discount (or freebies) when you buy a new bike also so don't be afraid to ask.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Anonymous
    Very few shops offer Part Ex in my experience. You'd be better selling on the forum or Ebay, most shops will give a discount (or freebies) when you buy a new bike also so don't be afraid to ask.

I would not mind selling tbh, I would rather avoid ebay and then becomes the problem of, how much is my bike worth? Asked on here before buy no answer, havent a clue how much it is woth now, its got quite abit of cosmetic damage like worn huds from been on the floor upside down etc..
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    depending on how small and comfortable it is you could keep it and save your new steed for the sunshine. My old decathlon hack is not worth that much but it does me fine for the winter with all the salt and wet roads - just a thought.....
  • Anonymous
    sicrow wrote:
    depending on how small and comfortable it is you could keep it and save your new steed for the sunshine. My old decathlon hack is not worth that much but it does me fine for the winter with all the salt and wet roads - just a thought.....

My frame is too small, my saddle is crap and I get amazing back pain.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    I can think of two LBS that buy second hand bikes and resell them in store, they don't usually stay on sale long as they are usually really good bikes for the money, so cant see why that wouldnt class as part exchange. Think one garauntes they will take as part exchange a bike that was bought from them....
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Anonymous
    willbevan wrote:
    I can think of two LBS that buy second hand bikes and resell them in store, they don't usually stay on sale long as they are usually really good bikes for the money, so cant see why that wouldnt class as part exchange. Think one garauntes they will take as part exchange a bike that was bought from them....

Hmm, I'll ask around in the LBS near me, I really need my bike valuing but dont know who to ask about that. Went to a LBS in york and they said they did not know when I asked them how much the bike might be worth.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, i doubt it will be worth much if it is in well worn condition, why not give it away on your local "Freecycle"
    I recently passed on an old mountain bike, someone else was well pleased with it and it is not taking up room in my garage any more.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Anonymous
    topdude wrote:
    Hi, i doubt it will be worth much if it is in well worn condition, why not give it away on your local "Freecycle"
    I recently passed on an old mountain bike, someone else was well pleased with it and it is not taking up room in my garage any more.

Lol I cant give it away!!, its my only bike and I am tight on cash. I have a rotting bike I could give away but it would be of no use since its broken.

I bought it for 255 quid and in good condition its apparently worth 300 quid, it still works fine, just some scratches and stuff.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Ok, so my "Freecycle" suggestion fell on stony ground :?
    I doubt if a bike shop would give you much in PX so if you are not keen on Ebay just advertise it locally. From your description i would guess you could ask £125 for it and if someone offers you £100 take the money :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Anonymous
    Think if thats all I could get it would not do me any harm in sticking with the bike and coping with the back pain and all that.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    willhub wrote:
    sicrow wrote:

Well the saddle is nothing really to do with the bike, it's easily changed.

If the bike is "too small" just fit a long stem and/or seatpost with more set back?

What size bike is it? How tall are you? Just for a rough guide.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    willhub wrote:
    sicrow wrote:

Well the saddle is nothing really to do with the bike, it's easily changed.

If the bike is "too small" just fit a long stem and/or seatpost with more set back?

What size bike is it? How tall are you? Just for a rough guide.

Bike is a small frame, I am 5ft9-10. My seat post is adjusted as high as it will go, I can get some stems for free I think but dont see what they will do, I also have a stem extender or whatever it is called that goes on the pole from the fork?

It is bothering me more now as I was out on a club run yesterday and when I was out one of the girls in me club said I was loosing alot of power and looked pretty uncomfortable so I thought I gotta do something about it if I really am loosing lots of power.

If I get me some pics took with me on the bike, on the huds and on the drops will that give anyone on here an idea if I am loosing alot of power?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'm sure that you can get the bike to fit. If your seatpost is at it's longest extension - get a longer seatpost that includes setback. Get a longer stem - as long as you need so 13 or 14cm even and flip the stem if you can't get the bars high enough.

I reckon I'd fit on a small Carrera with little adjustment, and I'm not much smaller than you. The italians would probably say the bike is the right size, as they like their bike frames as small as possible.

Has anyone seen Axel Merckx's bike?

Axle2-798-99.jpg

He got that to fit.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Hmmm maybe I will take this guy up on the offer for a longer stem and try that. Thats quite a high seat there :p.

When I went to this bike shop the guy in there said you wont get a seat post higher than that it is about the highest they come.

There is a bike shop about 16 miles away, they sell second hand frames, wonder if that means they take in peoples bikes, might be able to cash it in there.