New Trek 1.7 Thanks All

LingfieldXC
LingfieldXC Posts: 134
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Just picked my shiny new 1.7 up from the shop today. Decided to go straight onto clipless. I got the Keo Sprints in red. It feels weird and need some practice getting my right foot in. I cycled home from the shop (about 16 miles) and averaged over 17mph. I am so happy now, but have just found out that we are due some rubbish weather for the next couple of days.

I said hi to everyone I saw on bikes and a couple of horse riders, they all said hi back which was nice. I can't wait to get out and use the bike some more.

Anyway I would like to say thanks to everyone on the forum who answered my questions etc. I really would not know where to have started if it hadn't been for the help some gave.

I decided to go to my lbs rather than an evans shop as I wanted good service and fitting etc. due to having little/no experience. In the end this was definately the right decision as not only did they help loads with fitting etc bit they joined me up to their clubcard thing(£75), which gave me 10% off the bike and 10 to 15% off accessories for the next year.
Your'e never alone with schizophrenia.

Comments

• Phekdra
    Phekdra Posts: 137
    Just picked my shiny new 1.7 up from the shop today.

I'm so envious - I seem to have spent most of the last week drooling over that bike! :shock: What's it like to ride?

Phekdra
  • LingfieldXC
    i'm no expert on road bikes, this is my first. I wouldn't really know the difference between good or bad in this case but in my opinion it is fantastic. I read the review of the 1.5 and have a friend who bought one. All reviews seem to be good. Component wise i couldn't find much that matched the full 105 setup it has. I love the wheels, they may not be the best (i wouldn't know) but they look really cool. I got the triple.
    I would try and test ride it if I where you. Thats what I did on teusday of this week.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I'm eyeing up one of these as well - well, either this or dishing out the extra £200 on the 1.9. Do let me know how you get on...
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    patchy wrote:
    I'm eyeing up one of these as well - well, either this or dishing out the extra £200 on the 1.9. Do let me know how you get on...

I got the 1.9 compact, I bought it purely for the groupset but I got it home and the front mech was knackered so I couldnt change down to the small ring. I took it out for a spin and it just didnt feel right, comfort wise. I took it back to the shop and I noticed they still had the Specialized Roubaix I had originally ordered and I swapped. I think fate decreed that the Roubaix was the best bike for me and it is fantastic. Spend the extra £300 and go for the Roubaix instead!!!
  • LingfieldXC
    I was considering the 1.9 for a while too but I felt the difference between the 1.5 and 1.7 was massive in terms of components but the change between the 1.7 and 1.9 wasn't as much for the same increase in price. I also found the paint scheme a bit dull as opposed to the 1.7. In the end I thought that I should just spend the extra on accessories so I got better pedals, helmet and shoes.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    davelakers - don't tempt me, last time i started browsing I ended up about £700 over budget trying to decide whether the top-end Focus Cayo was worth it...

lingfield - that is true, but i'll be test riding as many bikes as i can anyway before buying so i suspect i'll end up with something else entirely (as long as its under my £1000 limit I'll go for anything as long as its the right bike for me).
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    davelakers wrote:
    patchy wrote:

I got the 1.9 compact, I bought it purely for the groupset but I got it home and the front mech was knackered so I couldnt change down to the small ring. I took it out for a spin and it just didnt feel right, comfort wise. I took it back to the shop and I noticed they still had the Specialized Roubaix I had originally ordered and I swapped. I think fate decreed that the Roubaix was the best bike for me and it is fantastic. Spend the extra £300 and go for the Roubaix instead!!!

Me too the Roubaix is fantastic
  • LingfieldXC
    in the intermittent sunshine today I went for a quick blast round a route near to my house. I was coming up a hill to a junction, clipped out and waited for a break in traffic, popped my right foot back in when there was a break and tried pulling away, didn't get my left foot in and fell over. I think I will use a lower gear next time.

Clipless pedals 1: Me 1