Disc Brakes, help!

robbiemagic
robbiemagic Posts: 132
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Me and my mate were changing the inner tube on his bike and obviouslu had the rear wheel off, and we foolishly squeezed the rear brake lever. Then we realised that you werent meant to do this when the disc isnt in between the pads. Now the pads are so close together that the disc wont slip in. How can we rectify this??!
"Second place is the first loser"
Orange Five SE
Orange P7 one

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    put something clean between the pads and push them apart.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    dont worry your not the first to do this I think every one has done it at least once when I was doing my apprenticeship as a motor bike mechanic I did the same and managed to pop one of the pistons out fortunately I managed to sort it before the customer came to pick up his bike :oops:

better to take pads out and use a clean tyre lever to push pistons back if you try it with pads in the pads can twist and jam themselves stopping you pushing them back

push a piston back a little way then the do the same the other side keep pressing them back a mil at a time till they are all the way home refit pads and pump brakes to reset pistons making sure that the pads align themselves correctly on disc with an equal gap either side

make your self a little packing piece to put between the pads next time :wink:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • robbiemagic
    Cheers for your replys. I have pushed the pads back so the disc slots inside them fine. but now the brake lever can be pulled all the way to the grips, thus they dont stop like how they used to. What should i do to rectify this??
    :? :?
    Orange Five SE
    Orange P7 one
  • stubs
    pump the brakes till the lever stops coming back to the bars try a few stoppies and your good to go
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Cheers for your replys. I have pushed the pads back so the disc slots inside them fine. but now the brake lever can be pulled all the way to the grips, thus they dont stop like how they used to. What should i do to rectify this??
    :? :?

Are they hydraulic or cable / mechanical?
    Stubs advice will only be useful if hydraulic.
  • stubs
    Ooooops I forgot about mechanical disc brakes :oops: :oops: if they are mechanical ignore evrything I said I have never worked with cable discs so dont know anything about them sorry :oops:
  • robbiemagic
    I have tried pumping them and it slows the bike down but doesnt stop it as abruptly as it should do. Everytime i do brake it makes a screeching sound too!
    Orange Five SE
    Orange P7 one
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Did you pull them with the bike upside down?

If so you may have pushed air into the system and they will need bleeding.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • robbiemagic
    yeah i reckon they do need bleeding, cheers for everyones help!
    Orange Five SE
    Orange P7 one