Any advice for me on getting my 1st carbon

davoj
davoj Posts: 190
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of getting my 1st carbon, I am willing to spend up to £1600 or 2,200 euro. I am not to sure should i go for a reliable brand like felt Z35 or a BH or maybe even a Terry Dolan tuano. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

cheers.

Comments

• willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    I would be tempted by a Cube GTC, or a PLANET X, planet X comes with a mix of Dura Ace as well, and does look good in the blue :)

Ride as many as you can as many people say.

I rode my first carbon bike last week, absoletely loved it, was fastert than my 170 quid decathlon bike suprisingly as well buy about 1 min 30 over 8 miles (same hearrate, pretty similar weather than my fastest ride 10 days before), but then it was a 2 grand tarmac expert (06 model mind you)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    I have a Dolan Volare (and love it), i think this is a version below the Tuono, and the guys at Dolan are great.
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    You can get a very nice Ultegra specced Bianchi 928 C2C with full carbon frame and forks/bar for £1625 and you'll usually manage to get 10% discount if you haggle :D

It's great to be .....
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    At £1600 you should be looking at a banded machine such as Pinarello, Look, BMC, Willier etc...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Campy King wrote:
    At £1600 you should be looking at a banded machine such as Pinarello, Look, BMC, Willier etc...

I'm not too sure, I don't think they are the best value, unless you really want the name on the frame. You can get some thing like a P-X with Dura Ace and really nice wheels for the £1600, that would only get you a Pina with Ultegra and £50 wheels, or a Wilier with Veloce and Fulcrum 7s.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Your budget will allow you a fairly massive choice. I'd suggest you call into somewhere like Condor to check out their in house range followed by eg Cycle Surgery if you are in the London area to see some of the more mainstream brands.

Peter