tubeless conversion - waste of money? - SORTED

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
man, what a clusterfu*ck :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dammit. Got my notubes conversion today to fit a maxxis minion onto my mavic D321 rims.
I swear tyres have become smaller in the years since I got the rims. Every new tyre seems a complete pain in the arse to fit, but anyway...

I have to use 3 layers of Velox tape in the centre of the rim before fitting the rimstrip - and the damn stuff just won;t stay put, it's got virtually no adhesive properties at all. I don;t think it would even stick to superglue for chrissakes.

With the Velox finally in place, after wasting two rolls, I fit the rimstrip.
The (DH) tubeless rimstrip isnt actually wide enough to fit the rim as intended, leaving a clear 1mm gap either side of the rim.

Rather perplexed at this, I carry on. however, now with the rimstrip, and velox tape in place, there is no "dip" in the centre of the rim. So... the tyre has nowhere to sit whilst fitting, meaning that the diameter of the tyre is way, way less than the diameter of the rim.
So, tyre takes about an hour to fit, breaking 4 tyre levers in the process.

Right, now the tyre is fitted, the bead has completely locked itself in the centre of the rim, as it is the thinnest part of the wheel by about 1mm.
Unfortunately, it is so tight that no amount of inflating will make the tyre "pop" out and sit on the rim edge properly.
Also, it's so damn tight, that I can't get anything underneath the tyre bead to move it into place, or in fact remove the tyre.
I try pumping furiously until my track pump eventually gives up and breaks.
i borrow a compressor, no luck, the tyre seems happy where it is, at the centre of the rim. Up to 30PSI, and no movement, just a slow hissing as air slowly leaks out. 10 minutes later, and it's flat again.

So I'm left with a tyre that won't inflate, and can't be removed, and I've now got to head off to work, and I'm not going to get a chance to bugger about anymore until Sunday.

I'm still curious as to what my next move is. At the moment, it looks as though I'm going to have to cut the tyre off the rim and go back to tubes.
:evil: :evil: :evil: AAAAAARGHHHHH :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Comments

• Anonymous
    aaaaah, that's better.
    Now i like tubeless, but hell, I'm allowed to be fickle.

The problem was that there was too much velox tape on the rim. only a single layer was needed, contrary to what the notubes website states.
    The weight saving is incredible, seeing as i used to use DH innertubes, it's over 2 kilos of weight shed from the wheels - now the bike goes uphill like a mountain goat!
  • Welcome to club tubeless... :D

Remember to carry a spare tube on rides with you in case things go tits up. Also a CO2 inflator helps too.
    _ _ _ _
    Green people might argue that cyclists deserve a tax break because they aren't polluting the environment, but cyclists burn energy similarly to cars: their increased demand for food isn't great for the environment
  • artillerydave
    artillerydave Posts: 715
    tubeless is definately worth any initial pain to set up as the benefits far outway the negatives. I think more and more people will see the light as time rolls on(puncture free of course)[/b]
  • Anonymous
    Aw, shucks, thanks guys, sorry I lost my rag for a bit there :lol:

I thought CO2 stopped the sealant from working?

Also, how well does the sealant really work? I tried fitting my old conti vertical on the rear, but it had a few small holes. All I got was a fountain of sealant squirting all over the garage! I thought it should have sealed almost instantly.

I've fitted a brand new speed king I had lying around instead of the vertical for now, but I'm curious about the sealant fountain.
  • I thought CO2 stopped the sealant from working?

Who told you this? *eyes shift from side to side*
    Also, how well does the sealant really work? I tried fitting my old conti vertical on the rear, but it had a few small holes. All I got was a fountain of sealant squirting all over the garage! I thought it should have sealed almost instantly.

What sealant are you using? I can stab my tyres and it seals instantly :twisted: It helps if the wheels are spinning
    _ _ _ _
    Green people might argue that cyclists deserve a tax break because they aren't polluting the environment, but cyclists burn energy similarly to cars: their increased demand for food isn't great for the environment
  • Anonymous
    Stan's Notubes "the solution".

does it need to sit in the tyre for a little while before it's 'primed' or something? because it didn't really get the opportunity on the verticals!
    Oddly, I just checked, and the vertical is standing in the corner of the garage, and there's still some sealant in the bottom of it, in fully liquid form, is that normal, or should it have solidified by now?

as you can guess, I'm not quite sure how this sealant business works!
  • I use stan's stuff too.

The sealant works when air rushes past it REALLY fasts (which is why sometimes it does not seal on tiny holes so you have to make them a tad bigger). If the solution dried up in the air then you would have one big clump in your tyre would'nt you? You are ment to shake them about and leave them on each side for a bit of time so any holes seal and pourous bits of rubber can be sealed. Nothing a quick ride could'nt fix mind.

Hope this has enlightened you :D
    _ _ _ _
  • Anonymous
    it did, thanks :D

I was thinking, wrongly, that high pressure air in the tyre would not react, but lower pressure air would make it solidify! duh :roll:

thanks for the heads up!