Subtle noise when pedaling

hakko
hakko Posts: 34
edited June 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
When I'm pedaling I notice this sound like plastic hitting metal. I thought it was the reflector on the spokes, (the reflector is attached to a spoke and there is a little movement and it does make a similar sound) so I removed the reflector but still, I can hear this noise. I though it might be a small lock I have for my gel seat, so I secured that and still I hear this noise.

I have disc brakes, aluminium frame, aluminium rims, SRAM gears (24 speed), it sounds like it's coming from below and/or behind me when I'm riding. It sounds like a plastic reflector flicking against metal spokes.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pads on rotors?

when does it happen. sitting,standing. pedaling, freewheeling.....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hakko
    Thank you for the reply.

Both sitting and standing, whilst pedaling. Not sure about freewheeling. I will check on the way home.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Which brakes? Oros?
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • hakko
    It made the sound whilst free wheeling. So that eliminates the pedals and chain/gears.

I think I found it! It's the rear wheel. When I grab the tire and move it side to side it makes the noise. The wheel hub and rims don't move side to side, which I was worried about. I can't perceive any sideways movement, but when I grab the tyre and move it side to side.
  • hakko
    Splasher wrote:
    Which brakes? Oros?

Tektro.
  • ian_worby
    ian_worby Posts: 331
    hakko wrote:
    It made the sound whilst free wheeling. So that eliminates the pedals and chain/gears.

I think I found it! It's the rear wheel. When I grab the tire and move it side to side it makes the noise. The wheel hub and rims don't move side to side, which I was worried about. I can't perceive any sideways movement, but when I grab the tyre and move it side to side.

I'd have said it sounds like the spoke protector behind the rear cassette.
  • vikingbobw
    vikingbobw Posts: 21
    I have the very same problem. I have only recently bought my Trek EX 7 (07), (Hayes 9 brakes, standard Bontrager Select Disc wheels) and have not yet had the chance to do it justice and go for a good ride so there is no damage, yet. I started to hear a very subtle noise which was almost like a small twig clicking against my spokes. I thought it was the reflector, that came off and it still happened. The plastic plate between the cogs and hub doesn't fit too well either. The noise tends to happen both when rolling and pedalling. Now it is not the gears or the chain as it happens when rolling. Off the bike i can only make it happen if i lean with all my weight over the seat and roll the bike listening to the sound which is like spokes creaking against each other and comes from the area of the back wheel, so it only happens under tension which leads me to think it might be loose spokes but they all 'feel' tight. Maybe unevenly tightned spokes, any ideas?

Thanks.

P.S. If i find the little bleeder i will let you know.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm not trying to be sarcastic but it seems that noises never happen when you are not pedaling.

Dennis Noward
  • Slat
    Slat Posts: 16
    HAKKO, I think i have a similar problem i hear a vibrating kinda sound when i lean whilst freewheeling, i tightened my reflector and it seems to dissappear. Never thought of the plastic spoke protector like IAN_WORBY.

I also have play in my wheel and when i give it a shake i can feel and here the disc hiting the pads either side. In another post someone mentioned that my problem of play could be due to knacked bearings or a knackd axel. I am yet to inspect it as i like riding but dont like fixing out.
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    do you have a cycle computer?? it could be the magnet hittng the sensor.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • Muzak
    Muzak Posts: 78
    vikingbobw wrote:
    I have the very same problem. I have only recently bought my Trek EX 7 (07), (Hayes 9 brakes, standard Bontrager Select Disc wheels) and have not yet had the chance to do it justice and go for a good ride so there is no damage, yet. I started to hear a very subtle noise which was almost like a small twig clicking against my spokes. I thought it was the reflector, that came off and it still happened. The plastic plate between the cogs and hub doesn't fit too well either. The noise tends to happen both when rolling and pedalling. Now it is not the gears or the chain as it happens when rolling. Off the bike i can only make it happen if i lean with all my weight over the seat and roll the bike listening to the sound which is like spokes creaking against each other and comes from the area of the back wheel, so it only happens under tension which leads me to think it might be loose spokes but they all 'feel' tight. Maybe unevenly tightned spokes, any ideas?

Thanks.

P.S. If i find the little bleeder i will let you know.

I have EXACTLY this problem...but on a road bike. Can anyone help?? :?
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    I've had a clicking noise from the rear wheel before & as you said it did it when I leant my full weight on the saddle, at specific points in the wheels rotation. Had the spokes of rear wheel tightened and that sorted the problem for me, so as you say your problem could be uneven spoke tension
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • vikingbobw
    vikingbobw Posts: 21
    Tried the twisting the wheel thing and yes there it is, so Beski i think you may be right but now i have the problem of tightening the spokes. To the techies out there it's a simple op but as a newbie to all things tech i'm not sure about how tight to go without risking damage to the wheel. I have tightened a bit and i am pleased to say, although initially it got bent out of shape, i managed to get it back after much wailing and gnashing of teeth. The sound is still there and although it's hard to tell, may be louder than before and certainly no quieter. So the Q is are they now too tight, if not how tight can i go?