Burton On Trent...any good rides nearby?

spudulike
spudulike Posts: 51
edited May 2010 in Routes
Hi all,

as above really. Anybody know of any good rides around here? I've been driving up to the Peak District and doing a few of the "Pure Trails" from the book and I've done FTD a few times...anybody know of anything closer?

Cheers

Comments

• mort
    mort Posts: 19
    I'm from Burton and have found that Cannock chase is a great local trail, lots of people say it's too crowded but I barely see anyone on the trails, I think they all just end up riding round the car park. The follow the dog trail is really well marked for people who don't know the area, and the route has just had a major overhaul.
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    mort: FTD is Follow The Dog. you muppet :)

there's a long-ish ride near Ticknall that I've done a few times, but it's too complex to explain from memory and i can't find any reference to it on google, but it's a proper route from a mtb book.

apparently Robin Wood (also near ticknall) has some good tracks, but i've never been there.

me and the guy who posted above have also ridden Battlestead hill, near Shobnall, and there are some good tracks, but nothing that really links together (or is legal...)

in case you were interested: there's a v. good stairset if you go over the a38 footbridge from Shobnall fields as if you were going to the Hospital, then stick to the tarmac path that goes on the far left and it enters the woods, going parallel with the a38. Follow the path for about 300yds and there's a huuuuuuge wooden stairset, and not a bad piece of footpath to ride at the top of it that leads to Resevoir road.

oh, and Jackson's Bank is worth a look, I think there are some tame jumps there too. It's sort of near Hoarcross but its easy to find on an OS map.
  • Robins Wood is a bit crap in my opinion. I just get lost in there.

There are trails around Ticknall, Milton and Repton. Just follow your nose around there really and your never far from your starting point, but there nice tracks. A few nice leg burners. A good starting point would be Bengalls farm opposite the main entrance for Foremark resevoir.