Freewheeling Problem

Welshie1927
Welshie1927 Posts: 33
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
First post on here, so be gentle please!!!

I am not that technically minded, so hoping for some good advice.

Basically, I am unable to pedal backwards when freewheeling and the chain just becomes loose. I assume that the problem is the hub and needs replacing?

Any checks I can do without the need to take the bike into a workshop? Also, if I need a new rear hub is it an easy home job with the right tools and some commitment?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like the freewheel (or free hub)

What bike, hub, cogs etc?
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    Whereabouts are you? (If the username doesn't give it away...)

I have tools (Chain whip, cassette remover socket) you can borrow if you need them
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • Welshie1927
    Its a 2007 Stumpjumper Comp

Ive got a Cassette Lock Ring and Chain Whip (unsused as yet!!)

Im based in Bristol, so a little far but thanks for the offer
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    edited May 2008
    Ok then, definitely a cassette and freehub system ('freewheel' is a term often used for the old block, where the mechanism is integrated into the cogs and screws on a specific hub)

As far as I am aware, you will have a Shimano m525 rear hub. You need to remove the cassette, axle, then remove the free hub body by inserting a 10mm allen key. Thray are not usually servicable, so I'd just replace with another, maybe 20 quid.
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    No worries - I don't know much but I have had to remove the cassette etc from the back wheel and that is easy! Haven't removed a hub yet though.
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • Welshie1927
    You know your stuff Supersonic. Just checked the spec and it is indeed a Shimano M-525

Thanks alot for your help guys