First road bike - please assess these components

fishyweb
fishyweb Posts: 173
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I'm considering buying a second hand road bike. Can anyone comment on the quality (or lack thereof) of the following components? E.g. are they tat, or dream-machine class, or the sort of thing on a £800 bike etc etc?

The brakes are campag centaur
The gearing is campag mirage 9sp rear mech as is the front mech.
2chain rings.53/39 i think
The chainset is campag,not sure which one,poss competion.
The front wheel has a mavic cxp30 v-section rim
The back wheel i dont know,but it has a 9sp close ratio block 11teeth upwards.
The frame is Condor aluminium

Thanks in advance.
http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club

Comments

• daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    I had simliar spec on my old fred Williams roadbike. The Mirage rear mech worked very well. I bought the bike second hand for £270 and it was great. Rode brilliantly and it also had a carbon fork.
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    That all looks decent mid range kit to me, you'll need to pay £1000 upwards on a new bike to get that sort of spec.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    Thanks very much, folks. That is what I needed to know.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    iga wrote:
    That all looks decent mid range kit to me, you'll need to pay £1000 upwards on a new bike to get that sort of spec.

£1000 for a mirage equipped alu bike? nah. My Ribble with Veloce and Centaur cost less than £500.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    My carbon with full centaur carbon cost £1000 new. So those aren't £1000 new. Though not actually sure what it'd be worth.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    azzerb wrote:
    My carbon with full centaur carbon cost £1000 new. So those aren't £1000 new. Though not actually sure what it'd be worth.

I'd say not more than £400
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    well the Fred Williams when it was new was about £500
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I'd say get the price lower. £800 sounds quite a bit for that spec. second hand.

Focus do a 10 speed, shimano bike for 769 new.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    Fair enough, £1000 is a too much, £700 - £800 new list price today looks about right, although Ribbles are getting close to 'buy a groupset and get the rest of the bike free' prices. I can imagine Condor charged close on £1k new mind...
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    The OP never mentioned a price ;)
    Centaur is a borderline dream bike range, Mirage is more basic but still nice. If the price and fit are correct, you should buy it...
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "The front wheel has a mavic cxp30 v-section rim
    The back wheel i dont know...."

BUT if the wheels don't match then surely it is simply not rideable in daylight?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    :oops: Misread the post!

I'd say new they were abit less then 800 quid quality. Condor bikes are quite expensive to be honest. Bikes above £1000 should be 10 speed.

With complete revamps coming for Dura Ace and Record this year, there may well be some very good prices on new bikes before the year is over.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I think £800 is steep. You do not know how worn the chain, cassette or wheel rims are. They may need replacing soonish. Have a look at Planet X and Ribble web sites and you will identify that for not a lot more, you can get a brand new carbon 10 sp bike.

IMO, bikes lose about 50% of their value quickly. So, I think you should be paying around £400-500 for the spec you have listed. It is nothing special.