Raid Pyrenean

Any one done the Raid Pyrenean? doing it at end of June but quite nervous about it, got the fitness and stamina but quite a big guy (93kg)so worried about 4 and a half continuous days riding and dem hills!

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Hi Phil,

I rode it way back in 1996 and enjoyed it a lot. It was my first time riding in the mountains and I learnt a lot. At the last minute I decided to fit a 26 rear sprocket and I was so glad I did. I was intending to ride it on a 12-23 cassette with 53/39 chainrings. The folly of youth!

You'll be surprised at how quickly the body adapts to riding day after day so I wouldn't be too worried about that especially if you stay hydrated and try and eat the right kind of food, i.e. some protein and as many carbs as you can get.

The hills (and they are mountains) are fine as long as you have the right gearing and are able to keep a good cadence going.

Who are you doing it with?
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I'm doing it as well, in September. I'm going with Marmot Tours.
    I've got a 50: 34 compact and a 13: 26 on the back. I'm trying to make myself ride hills more economically in this Summer's sportives, in order to get myself ready for the long hills.
    I've been told that the answer is to hold back a bit on the first 2 days, as many riders go too hard at the beginning, and pay for it later!
    I can't remember looking forward to a ride as much as this one!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    How are you doing the transport to/from ?

I really fancy doing it, but it seems to involve flights to Biarritz at one end and Perpignan at the other : Perpignan is OK, but Biarritz only has Ryanair flights from Stansted - and I've heard too many horror stories about Ryanair from Stansted, apart from it being miles away in Essex.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Stanstead- Biarrritz on the way out, and Girona- Stanstead on the return.
    The transfers are set up for those flights, so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed, and use even more bubble wrap than normal in the bike bag.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    I'm doing it in June, with SportsTours. I plan to hold as much back as possible for the swim in the Med and dash for the beer.
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Am doing it in 4 weeks with Marmot and am really looking forward to it! The thought of hauling my caccuss over the Pyrenees for 4 full days has been the main motivator for me getting out in all kinds of weather since last November!